US 89 to Page is closed....

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

US 89 to Page is closed....

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 20 2013 7:28 pm

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: US 89 to Page is closed....

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 01 2013 9:06 pm

"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 01 2013 9:27 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:More updates:
http://arizonageology.blogspot.com/2013 ... nical.html
Thanks! Toward the end of that, they pulled back far enough to show as much of it as can be seen from the surface, which looks pretty bad. The long view was a pretty characteristic-looking slide, like the one by Lime Mountain in the Supes. ( http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=21196).

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 14 2013 10:34 am

Rob del Desierto wrote:They might consider paving the route through The Gap and up through Coppermine and Le'Chee.
This project is underway, and expected to be done by mid-August. In the meantime, the general public is no longer allowed to use the dirt road route (as some of us had previously done) due to ongoing construction and roadwork.

The new paved road will be part of the ADOT highway system and labeled US-89T. Whenever they fix the original highway, 89T will revert back to BIA and lose it's ADOT US-89 designation.

Details in the Daily Sun: http://azdailysun.com/news/local/work-o ... 5aaae.html
Highway to hell

ASUAviator
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ASUAviator » Jun 14 2013 3:41 pm

My company is doing the dirt work on the new road way so I guess theres a chance I might go work on it. Be kinda nice to work outta town

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Jun 14 2013 5:12 pm

@ASUAviator
I didn't know you liked to play in the dirt. :) I go for an oral interview with IUOE 428 on Monday for the apprenticeship program. I went down to the training center at Casa Grande for the "trade test" last month and scored pretty well, 293 out of 300 points :D. Do you know what kind of questions will be asked at the interview? PM me so we don't clog up the thread.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 14 2013 7:57 pm

About time. I wish that had been paved in 2007 or 2008 when I was driving to Page from Flag every week. I considered the alternative route but never used it due to it being dirt. Oh, they'll resent the outside presence on the road, but those who live on BIA 20 should see this 89T project as a huge improvement.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 16 2013 3:39 pm

I was just by that area today and also on Friday. Sure is a lot of truck activity, and a big cement plant has gone up at Gap. Some people seemed worried that the road, with only a 4 inch base, will not hold up for long. Truckers are being housed everywhere along 89 from Gray Mountain on up. There must have been 30 or 40 big trucks parked at Gray Mountain this morning.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 28 2013 11:27 am

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Aug 28 2013 3:13 pm

How many miles does that shave off the trip from Flagstaff to Page, versus 160?
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 28 2013 3:35 pm

kingsnake wrote:How many miles does that shave off the trip from Flagstaff to Page, versus 160?
http://bit.ly/140u0Rs
drag the line to the new route. 50.
Highway to hell

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 28 2013 6:20 pm

I drove by the turnoff, which is by the Gap gas station, earlier today. It's still signed as being closed, but I'm hoping it will actually open tomorrow as it says in the article, since I am going to Page later in the week.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 28 2013 9:49 pm

Signs are for people who follow rules. :A1:
Highway to hell

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 29 2013 6:20 am

Liz tells me the road is only 2 inches thick, not 4 or 6 inches thick as a normal highway for trucks would be. Seems pointless to have built a substandard road over that sand up there. It will be falling about by January. Even if NR 20 is paved now, it might not be in a few years after 89 is rebuilt.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 29 2013 9:13 pm

The road opened today! I'm heading to Page on Saturday to buy another kayak. Glad to hear I won't have to go around by way of Tuba or Fredonia.

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Aug 29 2013 10:06 pm

Shall we start a pool as to how long the two inch thin road is going to last?
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

big_load

Post by big_load » Aug 29 2013 10:10 pm

It might have been the best thing to do in the short term. They wanted to get something done quick, and either they don't plan on it lasting, or they expect to upgrade it bit by bit as funding permits.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 29 2013 10:16 pm

I don't know when they are going to rebuild the permanent road, since there's evidence there will be more slumps, due to the geology of the area. I guess it is fairly unstable.

big_load

Post by big_load » Aug 29 2013 10:25 pm

@azbackpackr They'll need a major reroute, or just plan on totally rebuilding the road every so often.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2013 4:31 am

big_load wrote:@azbackpackr They'll need a major reroute, or just plan on totally rebuilding the road every so often.
Yes. As my river runner friend likes to say, "Well, they built a road where Baby Jesus said there shouldn't be a road..."

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 30 2013 6:53 am

Seems a permanent re-route is a better choice, if evidence suggests the slumps are likely again.

Return to “Road Conditions”