Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Mt. Elden Road Closed

Post by Dschur » Sep 10 2013 8:37 pm

Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Re: Mt. Elden Road Closed

Post by Dschur » Sep 10 2013 8:38 pm

Elden Lookout Rd is closed to vehicles starting at the junction with Rocky Ridge Trail. A person was severely injured when a very large boulder fell off the hillside and landed on the individual. Photo of the boulders.
An area closure is in place generally between Upper Oldham Trail to Sunset Trail, east of the area commonly known as “Wasabi Drainage.” Upper Oldham Trail is closed.
Sunset Trail, the Elden Climbing Area, and Rocky Ridge Trail remain open.
Brookbank Trail is open, but users must walk or bicycle from the road closure barricades to the trailhead.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Sep 10 2013 10:07 pm

You know your luck is bad when you get crushed by a boulder standing on the road.

Aside: I wonder if this means Joe will recognize the Upper Oldham Trail as an actual trail ;)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 10 2013 10:17 pm

The FS lists Oldham Trail #1 as 5.5 miles. The FS page for "Upper" has been removed. If I break off what you posted as "Upper" then #1 will be considerably short. Not sure what part I'm missing?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Sep 11 2013 6:32 am

Impressive.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

tibber

Post by tibber » Sep 11 2013 8:08 am

I presume this means we can't do our Plan A Schultz TH up Sunset,Upper Oldham, Brookbank, and Little Gnarly back to Schultz.

So for a Plan B I was thinking of doing Schultz TH up Sunset, down Heart and Little Elden back to Schultz. Haven't heard or seen anything on Little Elden lately; especially since the rains they've been having. Has anyone done this loop? Guess I could call the Ranger Station about Little Elden...

so much for Plan B - Ambika and I had seen an orange/white traffic board with a sign when we headed up the Heart but we didn't investigate it. Per the FS website:
Little Elden Trail #69 Area Status: Temporarily Closed
so now what for Plan C? maybe Schultz TH up Sunset to Brookbank and back on Rocky Ridge?
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Sep 11 2013 9:23 am

Looks like that is close to where I parked when I hiked Oldham earlier this summer. Wonder how long it will take to clear it out?
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Sep 11 2013 9:25 am

An area closure is in place generally between Upper Oldham Trail to Sunset Trail, east of the area commonly known as “Wasabi Drainage.” Upper Oldham Trail is closed.

Sunset Trail, the Elden Climbing Area, and Rocky Ridge Trail remain open.

Brookbank Trail is open, but users must walk or bicycle from the road closure barricades to the trailhead.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/ ... RDB5435503

You need not presume any longer, legally you can't, but with a proven slide off of a road cut (as seen in the images) or rocks coming down a slope from these excessively wet conditions, you really might want to plan a different hike until things dry out. The hike described by you is best later in the month when the color appears and it has dried out. Little Elden is probably still closed from the Schultz Fire, and if conditions are similar to the last time I was over there poaching that in 2011, you won't enjoy the hike with the debris flows and rock and boulder strewn paths. You could consider a loop that uses the Sunset, Elden or Heart, Pipeline, Rocky-Ridge, Schultz Creek Trails. Avoid a weekend if possible, as bikes abound, but that is a large loop that is pleasant. Also, you can shorten it by using the Brookbank-Little Gnarly trails, to cut RR and Schultz Creek.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Sep 17 2013 6:16 pm

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Road Conditions”