Travel delays on Four Peaks/El Oso Road

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Travel delays on Four Peaks/El Oso Road

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 18 2014 3:47 pm

Phoenix, Ariz. (Feb. 12, 2014) – Road maintenance will be conducted on the Four Peaks/El Oso Road (Forest Road 143) Mon., Feb. 17 – Thurs., Mar. 6.
Visitors can expect up to two hour delays during this period as crews complete needed maintenance and repairs to the road.
Forest Service road crews will be operating graders, dozers, backhoes, and water tenders making travel hazardous on the narrow and winding road. The public is asked to practice caution due to the machinery, employees, and maintenance activities.
“The weather and heavy traffic have taken their toll on the road.” stated Kelly Jardine, Tonto Basin District Ranger. “It should take 3 weeks to complete the project. We ask for the public’s understanding, support and cooperation as we work to improve the road’s condition and safety.”

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/new ... PRD3790555

I just talked to the Forest Service and confirmed the maintenance is only taking place on weekdays so it shouldn't affect weekend travel.
CannondaleKid

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Travel delays on Four Peaks/El Oso Road

Post by joebartels » Feb 18 2014 4:39 pm

any clue if this is the entire road or just west of the divide?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 19 2014 8:27 am

joe bartels wrote:any clue if this is the entire road or just west of the divide?
I believe it is all the way from 87 to the top and down El Oso Road to 188. Obviously it is not the whole distance every day so they will be working their way across.

I'll be farther up 87 tomorrow but on the return may drive out 4 Peaks Road to see how far they've gone and which direction they are working. Who knows, maybe they have a crew working up from either side?
CannondaleKid

garyc57

Post by garyc57 » Feb 19 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll be driving up there the morning on March 1st for a hike down AZT # 21 - the Pine Mountain segment.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 19 2014 7:51 pm

garyc57 wrote:I'll be driving up there the morning on March 1st...
We may cross paths. I'll be driving up there to help set up a shuttle for JJ3's Slate Creek to Mount Ord to Brown's Peak hike... seems more like an ordeal to me. ;)
CannondaleKid

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Feb 19 2014 10:00 pm

I'll be traveling a few miles along 143 this Saturday, when I return I'll report anything of importance for y'all.

The road was pretty nasty when we went out that way last week...really nice of them to do some yard work out there for us!

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Feb 27 2014 10:49 am

Thought I'd poke back in here since I'm back and all.
We left the 87 onto the 403 until reaching the 401 which is only a few miles but saw no evidence whatsoever on that end of construction, no tags or signs or anything so it must all be up-road further.
sorry couldn't report much more this time.

Return to “Road Conditions”