Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Dave1
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Central Ave access to South Mtn closed

Post by Dave1 » Aug 13 2014 12:37 pm

From City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation:

The Central Avenue entrance of South Mountain will remain closed indefinitely for debris removal and detailed inspection.

There were no injuries reported from the slides. Six vehicles were stranded on the Summit Road above this slide area. Fire Department transported about a dozen people down. Crews had cleared enough roadway by about 10 a.m. for owners to drive vehicles down. Roadways remained closed for debris removal. All other entrances to the park remain open.
south mountain.PNG

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Central Ave access to South Mtn closed

Post by chumley » Aug 13 2014 12:51 pm

With 2-3" in the somo rain gauges this isn't surprising.
Profound observer

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Aug 13 2014 3:35 pm

This is what was coming off the mountain last night right after the deluge. This wash comes off the mountain in the canyon just west of Pyramid Trail. I've lived here since 1991 and have never seen anything like this. Every other year or so it might send a trickle down one side, but nothing like this. We could hear and feel the rocks rolling. This wash is our back yard; we were standing on the cool deck by the pool when we took this. Plan to walk up the wash tonight to see how much real estate was rearranged. There are some overhanging sides of this wash that worry me. One came down a few years ago; I am anxious to see if any more have or if the overhangs has been increased.
http://youtu.be/X5aJSNBiSb4
Last edited by Sredfield on Aug 13 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 13 2014 3:45 pm

Looks like that drainage culvert they built performed admirably! :o
Profound observer

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 13 2014 3:57 pm

Question: I've played Club West a handful of times. That driving range/retention basin is quite large, but there's no way it could hold all that flood water. It seems like the drainage from there south to the reservation is a pretty small channel. Did the golf course or homes surrounding it sustain flood damage?
Profound observer

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Aug 13 2014 4:22 pm

From City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation:
South Mountain Park staff will reopen some of the park's Central Avenue roadways tomorrow at 5 a.m. Main entrance road UP TO the 1.0 mile mark will reopen. The Summit Road leading to the top of the park will remain closed past that point tomorrow for continuing cleanup. This opening will allow access to Big/Little Ramadas and Ranger and Kiwanis trail parking areas.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 13 2014 6:10 pm

@Sredfield
That's a lot of water!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 13 2014 8:36 pm

Rocks, water, mud, and roads, they all go together. It's natures way.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 14 2014 11:55 am

Without reading this Thread yesterday, I went over to South Mountain about 6 P.M. and could not get in the Main Entrance at Central Ave...Everyone was parked at Scorpion Gulch....First time I've seen a Lake at the Base of South Mountain and could get Reflection Shots.... :sweat: You could definitely see how Water was pouring down even in the Foothills in front of Scorpion Gulch...There was a City of Phoenix PD Helicopter that spent over an Hour circling and hovering around the Hobert and Geronimo Trail Areas, but I'm not sure it ever landed...Also ran into a Coyote with a broken right front leg...It was laying down and I thought it was just Chilling, but when it saw me, it ran three legged around the north end.... :(
DSCN5233.JPG
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Aug 15 2014 8:05 am

I walked up the wash maybe a third of a mile, lots of country rearranged. Some of the overhangs fell off, others were deepened, which is a worry. Walking near increases the pucker factor. Lots of geology happened in a short time.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 15 2014 9:11 am

Sredfield wrote: Walking near increases the pucker factor.
:y: :sl: :scared:
Rowdy and Widowmaker

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Aug 15 2014 9:28 am

Sredfield wrote:Lots of geology happened in a short time.
What, without Bob being there to participate and lead? :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

winotron

Post by winotron » Nov 07 2014 4:46 pm

Anyone know if it's OK to hike the Alta - Bajada Loop right now? Planned on starting from the National TH at 43rd ave/Estrella. The SM website still says Summit Rd and San Juan Rd are closed, including to hikers, and I know this loop crosses San Juan Rd a couple times, and is directly next to it for a stretch close to the trailhead. Even though it says the roads are closed, it also says: "All trails, trailheads and any ramada areas in the lower areas of the park with access gates open are available for public use." I've never been to the national TH though, so not sure if it even has access gates.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 07 2014 5:36 pm

@winotron
The Start at 43rd Avenue and Estrella, is not an "Official" TH...You park along what would be the Estrella Road alignment, on a Dirt Road, across from some Houses...You just go through the Fence where's there's a couple of openings...You'll see a Trail that goes up and over a small Hill and takes you down to the Ramada where's there's a TH for National and Alta Trails....You won't have any trouble doing this Hike due to any "Closures"....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Nov 07 2014 7:00 pm

I did Alta-Bajada from the Estrella/43rd Avenue trailhead right after the big rain in September. Nothing was closed, but the trail was pretty beat up. Did have a few issues on the Bajada and National Trail the last time I was out there. Large chunks of the trail were washed away and I got turned around a couple of times where the trail crosses a wash.

Parking off of 43rd Avenue is how I access South Mountain 95% of the time. The trail is easy to find and a quick way to gain some AEG to start your hike.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Nov 07 2014 8:32 pm

@Outdoor Lover
Agree. Should be fine.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

Return to “Road Conditions”