Anyone been on FR 895 or FR 97 of late?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Anyone been on FR 895 or FR 97 of late?

Post by whereveriroam » Oct 28 2014 7:34 pm

Looking to drive to the lower elevation TH and Cabin to reach the Boyer Cabin trail. The trail is located just outside the Salome Wilderness. Both FR's start off of FR 60 which is east of Roosevelt Lake and another way to get to Punkin Center. FR's 895 and 97 put you on top of Thompson Mesa. Any info would be appreciated.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Anyone been on FR 895 or FR 97 of late?

Post by Grasshopper » Oct 28 2014 8:43 pm

@whereveriroam I recall you backpacked this entire trail from the upper end to the Boyer Cabin and back up. I have not been to the Boyer Cabin area in years, but for driving in from FR60 A-Cross Rd, I can assure you that once you reach the Thompson Mesa area (probably still accessible via a high clearance vehicle with good tires, the last ~.80 miles drop to reach Boyer Cabin will definitely require high clearance with 4WD.. because this section is a serious, rocky old road drop to the cabin and you have to be able to safely climb out and back up to the mesa..4WD reqd with good LT (light truck) tires recommended.. Not sure if this link of the two driving routes will work for me.. http://hikearizona.com/map.php?MY=9126&M=6 but it shows the main drive in and the option drive out loop connection back to FR60.. which some of that loop section is more safely done with 4WD too. It's a great area to spend the day just tooling around :)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Oct 29 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks Grasshopper. Since I was double solo, hiking and 4X4ing by myself I choose the safer of the 2 and hiked up FR 97 and FR 895. I'm going to do the unthinkable and do a FR trip report or maybe Thompson Mesa. Considering all the Rattlesnakes, walking the road allows one to see them :o

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Oct 29 2014 7:39 pm

Keep an eye out for lion as well.
jk

Return to “Road Conditions”