FS 618

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
montezumawell
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

FS 618

Post by montezumawell » Feb 07 2003 4:59 pm

The condition of U.S. Forest Service Road #618 currently rates good to very good.

FR 618 is one of the most important roads in the Beaver Creek-West Clear Creek neck of the woods. It connects I-17 at the Sedona exit with State Route 260 over by Camp Verde. This is the road you would take to get to the Bull Pen on West Clear Creek. Or to the Bell Trailhead on the other side. Or to the Land of OZ in between. FR #618 easily rates as the most unknown, under-rated road at the base of the Mogollon Rim. Interestingly, it can take a LOT more usage without suffering the typical slings and arrows of outrageous punishments that FR backroads often take.

Most of you can probably get to FR #618 from the metroplex in a mere 90-120 minutes.

J&S

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 10 2003 1:30 pm

I traveled this road in November, visited V-Bar-V and went to Bull Pasture to enjoy the scent and sight of Bull Pen from a ridge in full fall colors. Hiked along the lower West Clear Creek. Also saw lots of elk.

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Re: FS 618

Post by Dschur » Aug 26 2014 3:45 pm

Beginning next week, Coconino National Forest will be replacing an outdated single-lane bridge along Forest Road 618—a heavily used road used by the public when exiting Interstate 17 to reach Beaver Creek near Sedona.

#The construction project will begin Sept. 2 and result in temporarily closure of the bridge, but a detour bypass will be available to allow traffic continued access to Forest Road 618. Travelers in that area should expect some delays and heavy construction traffic.

#The new bridge will meet all current design standards, including two-lane traffic, safety barriers and a rail. The overall bridge length will be increased to allow the existing wash to perform in a natural condition similar to upstream and downstream conditions. The original bridge was installed in 1952 and is currently only single lane.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Return to “Road Conditions”