Rattlesnake Rd to Powers Garden Trail Closed

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Powers Garden Trail #96, AZ
Linked Areas none
johnny88
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Rattlesnake Rd to Powers Garden Trail Closed

Post by johnny88 » Feb 16 2015 2:24 pm

I had planned a backpacking trip to Powers Garden from the North end of Rattlesnake Canyon (this trail: http://hikearizona.com/decoder=17478); however, I learned this weekend that the road there is closed. It is a little confusing to me - the permit sign-in box on Rattlesnake Rd is still there with permit tags and there is an unlocked cable across the road near the sign-in, but as soon as you turn onto Rattlesnake Rd from Klondyke Rd, there is a sign off to the side saying "Road Closed". A local told us the rancher closed the road a couple weeks ago.

I don't know when or if the road will be re-opened, but have a backup plan if you go and the road is still closed.

Looking over land management maps now, I see much of the road traverses through National Forest land and the rest through state-owned land or private land, so it seems to be a huge mess of access and ownership out there

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Rattlesnake Rd to Powers Garden Trail Closed

Post by big_load » Feb 16 2015 2:38 pm

johnny88 wrote: ... but have a backup plan if you go and the road is still closed

Edit: I was thinking of a different previously closed TH in my earlier response. It sounds like Deer Creek TH is still the best way in from that end.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Feb 16 2015 2:44 pm

This happens periodically, I believe sometimes the "road" washes out or has some sort of other problem and they close it till that is resolved. Or, the rancher is tired of people driving it, then getting off the mesa top and getting stuck, that happens periodically too. Hopefully it is not permanent.
You can take the Deer Creek entrance to Mud Spring, from there head north to a drop into I think it's Sycamore canyon ( area may be affected by the fire) go up that and drop into Rattlesnake canyon near the pools down from where the old road crosses Rattlesnake canyon. It's not many miles though definitely out of the way but might make a nice loop to the Garden. Last time I did it the trail in Sycamore was pretty faint and head high growth but it went ok.

johnny88
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by johnny88 » Feb 16 2015 3:20 pm

I didn't get an exact reason why the road was closed, but I also hope it's not permanent.

Coming in from Deer Creek TH as you mention is probably the best alternative. I don't see any direct route from the West-side

Return to “Road Conditions”