Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Purchase in Santa Teresa’s becomes public land

Post by azdesertfather » Sep 24 2017 6:24 am

32,000 acres... does anyone know how to find out which land/where this is exactly out there?

http://tucson.com/news/local/purchase-o ... 503e8.html

Such a beautiful remote area...a part of the GET...
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

jonathanpatt
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Re: Purchase in Santa Teresa’s becomes public land

Post by jonathanpatt » Sep 24 2017 8:29 am

The 32,000 acres is presumably the public land that becomes accessible. BLM purchased the 640 acre ET Ranch on the east side of the range, adjacent to the BLM's North Santa Teresa Wilderness.

More details: https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secre ... nta-teresa

The ranch listing: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18157114 ... afford-AZ/

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 24 2017 12:13 pm

Great! That picture makes me itch to get on the trail again in AZ. I've been hiking so much in UT and CO lately and it's been too long.

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Sep 24 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Jonathan!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 25 2017 2:53 pm

I will be curious to see how this actually plays out.

I've marked up a map showing the relevant boundaries.

https://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=6542

The green segment in the center is the 600 acres of private land that was just purchased by DOI.

The red is the BLM-managed North Santa Teresa Wilderness, and the black is the FS-managed Santa Teresa Wilderness.

To the east in yellow is the San Carlos Apache Tribe. Note that this area of tribal land is closed to all entry.

The dark green square is a 40 acre ranch that has a ranch building and other improvements on it, and is also the end of a reasonably developed road from highway 70 (the 13 mile road referenced in the sale link above). The Graham County assessor lists the owner of this property as "USA", while the owner of the 600 acres is still listed as the "Trust for Public Lands" (that's who has agreed to sell it to DOI). The rest of the land between the red and yellow is non-wilderness BLM land.

Assuming that both parcels are now federally owned and will therefore allow recreational access, there is still the matter of getting across the reservation to get there. If the SCAT allowed people to drive through their land to access federal land, then there would already be access to the North Santa Teresa Wilderness. I'm not sure why that would change now?

As it stands, there is still private and leased state trust land south of the ET Ranch parcel which has always blocked easy access to the Santa Teresa Wilderness from the east side. The DOI purchase here makes no change to that access.

Hopefully this is all clarified in the next few months...
smoke it

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Sep 25 2017 3:45 pm

chumley wrote:Assuming that both parcels are now federally owned and will therefore allow recreational access, there is still the matter of getting across the reservation to get there. If the SCAT allowed people to drive through their land to access federal land, then there would already be access to the North Santa Teresa Wilderness. I'm not sure why that would change now?
Could it be that the ranch had an access agreement that's portable to the new owners?

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 25 2017 5:06 pm

@big_load
I hope so. It certainly sounds as if the people in the know are excited about this opening up access to NSTW. The news article talks about an easement and a parking area but that seems to be on the purchased property which doesn't make much sense to me.
smoke it

big_load
You talkin' to me peli

Post by big_load » Sep 25 2017 8:21 pm

@chumley
On the CalTopo map, that road appears to continue from the 13 mile mark to the ranch boundary, where it turns into a jeep trail that continues on into Dark Canyon. It looks like another road branches off from that 13-mile point and hits the ranch boundary further north. Of course there could be some kind of blockage at 13 miles. However, I don't see another practical way for the previous owners to have accessed the ranch. (It would be interesting if they had to cross the wilderness from the west by pack train, but "interesting" wouldn't their choice of words if that were the case.)

Return to “In the news...”