AZ National Forest Closures

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas  • Tonto, AZ  • Apache - Sitgreaves, AZ  • Coconino, AZ  • Coronado, AZ  • Kaibab, AZ  • Prescott, AZ
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

AZ National Forest Closures

Post by chumley »

Ok, it's finally official.

Peralta, First Water, and Picketpost trailheads are closed. Plus just about everything else.

As of 2020-03-24 most are developed recreation sites and developed trailheads.

If visiting it would be wise to check "Alerts & Notices" on respective FS websites.
- Links to the forest websites are alway available on large screen devices on the HAZ Forum homepage left column: each forest name before the word "News" is clickable
- Guide Pages on HAZ tap forest name, last option is a link to the forest website

Closure links as of 2020-03-24
Apache-Sitgreaves NF

Coconino NF

Coronado NF

Kaibab NF

Prescott NF

Tonto NF
Page 1
Page 1
Page 2
Page 2
Page 3
Page 3
Last edited by joebartels on Mar 24 2020 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Tonto NF Closes Trailheads

Post by outdoor_lover »

Based on what I've been seeing out there, it was pretty evident that this was coming. Should be interesting to see if they just shut down the Forests completely too.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
sidhayes

Post by sidhayes »

You can go regardless
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid »

Still nothing on the Tonto site but this Forest Service Interactive Viewer Map link will be right next to the HAZ link in my browser shortcuts.
CannondaleKid
Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots »

They should close everything on First Water Rd.
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

Oh beautiful I just can't wait to hear about the overcrowding of undeveloped access points such as Tortilla TH.

On Reddit r/phoenix there was recently an active thread where someone was suggesting Tortilla as an alternative to the crowded developed spots. That site gets hundreds of thousands of views. Meaning if it hasn't happened already it's going to exceed its carrying capacity as a parking lot. That also means that casual/inexperienced hikers & snow birds looking to social distance will be throttled by the lack of a restroom as most of them do not understand the concept of wilderness.

In conclusion, if you plan to still go out to the Superstitions during this trying time - bring a hazmat suit, lol.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@wildwesthikes Yes unfortunately these closures will do nothing but shift the problem from one area to another... and ultimately have permanent effects on areas that previously received less visitation.
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

wildwesthikes wrote: someone was suggesting Tortilla as an alternative to the crowded developed spots
chumley wrote:Yes unfortunately these closures will do nothing but shift the problem from one area to another... and ultimately have permanent effects on areas that previously received less visitation.
It will still lessen the problem. Most people are not going to hike Peter's Trail because Firstwater and Peralta are closed-- at least not enough to cause permanent effects. I would imagine the vast majority wouldn't even make it further than hiking to the end of the road.

And after all the reports of overcrowding from this past weekend, I think more people will hesitate to flock to those places. That leaves us with those more serious hikers who would be out there anyways and then those idiots that just want to go because their ego can't handle being told "no".

There's only a couple places I would be concerned with receiving added attention.
jacobemerick
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by jacobemerick »

After hearing about the over-crowding issues, I wonder if/when they'll close 88 back down to non-essential traffic. Regardless, I'm glad they're closing down these areas, and hope that the city/state parks in Phoenix follow suit.
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

chumley wrote: Mar 24 2020 7:58 am @wildwesthikes Yes unfortunately these closures will do nothing but shift the problem from one area to another... and ultimately have permanent effects on areas that previously received less visitation.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/n ... 896995001/
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
chumley

Post by chumley »

sidhayes

Post by sidhayes »

@Tough_Boots
All public lands must always be available to their citizens including me.
chumley

Post by chumley »

I'm literally dumbfounded.
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

sidhayes wrote:All public lands must always be available to their citizens including me.
Every closure order ever issued would strongly disagree.
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@Tough_Boots
Hopefully you're right.
cactuscat

Post by cactuscat »

Coconino National Forest too ...

Coconino NF closing developed recreation sites
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., March 24, 2020 — Coconino National Forest has closed its developed recreation and day-use sites indefinitely to protect public and employee health, as well as align with state and local measures already in place to lessen the impact of COVID-19.

The vast majority of the forest is still open to visitors who want to spend time outdoors participating in recreational opportunities that support social distancing, such as hiking and biking on trails, and dispersed camping.

However, the following developed recreation sites, facilities, and restrooms are closed. More sites may close in the future, depending on the situation, as circumstances can change rapidly in response to COVID-19:

Day-Use Sites

Banjo Bill Picnic Site
Bootlegger Picnic Site
Clints Well Picnic Site
Encinoso Picnic Site
Fossil Creek Area
Halfway Picnic Site
Long Valley Day-Use Site
Oak Creek Vista

Group Campgrounds

Chavez Crossing Group Campground
Clear Creek Group Campground
Dairy Springs Group Campground
Elks Group Group Campground
Long Valley Work Center Group Campground
Moqui Group Campground
O’Leary Group Campground

Heritage Sites

Honanki Heritage Site
Palatki Heritage Site
V Bar V Heritage Site

Rental Cabins

Apache Maid Cabin
Crescent Moon Cabin
Fernow Cabin
Kendrick Cabin

Single Family Unit Campgrounds

Ashurst Lake Campground
Bonito Campground
Blue Ridge Campground
Canyon Vista Campground
Cave Springs Campground
Clear Creek Campground
Clints Well Campground
Dairy Springs Campground
Double Springs Campground
Kehl Springs Campground
Knoll Lake Campground
Lakeview Campground
Little Elden Springs Campground
Lockett Meadow Campground
Manzanita Campground
Pine Flat Campground
Pine Grove Campground
Rock Crossing Campground

Visitor Centers

Red Rock Ranger Station & Visitor Center
Oak Creek Visitor Center

Notifications to those who have made any reservations will be made as soon as possible and refunds will be processed.

Visitors should mitigate resource impacts wherever they recreate by taking their trash with them when they depart and appropriately managing human waste by burying it at least 6-8 inches deep and 200 feet away from water, trails and recreation sites.

All Coconino National Forests offices are conducting business and providing services virtually. While being outside is believed to be safer than indoor spaces, visitors to national forests are urged to take the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) recommended precautions.

Members of the public who have additional questions that cannot be answered through the Coconino National Forest website can contact one of our ranger stations:

Forest Supervisor's Office: 928-527-3600, then press "0."
Flagstaff Ranger Station: 928-527-8279.
Mogollon Rim Ranger Station: 928-477-2255.
Red Rock Ranger Station & Visitor's Center: 928-203-2900, then press "0."
Where is the "dislike" button?
chumley

Post by chumley »

Prescott NF has closed a significant chunk of their recreation sites as well.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/prescott ... EPRD716001
Attachments
90324586_2770232213204372_3851833319385726976_o.png
chumley

Post by chumley »

@cactuscat
None of the Coconino sites really impact hiking.

The big exception being Fossil Creek. Which is apparently completely closed.
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

Thanks for the info...if they are going to close First Water and Peralta, I am a bit curious why the Hieroglyphic TH is still open...and for that matter the Boulder Canyon TH at Canyon Lake Marina as well as the TH at Tortilla Flat...and I imagine that there will be a mob of people at Lost Dutchman State Park
I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@DixieFlyer
Quick answer is that I think all the closed trailheads are developed (e.g. they have a bathroom). Hieroglyphic is not a FS trailhead, it's in Apache Junction or Gold Canyon or whatever town owns it. I read somewhere that the marina will not allow parking at Boulder Canyon either. And yes, I expect there to be mobs of people at other sites.

Return to “In the news...”