AZ National Forest Closures

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas  • Tonto, AZ  • Apache - Sitgreaves, AZ  • Coconino, AZ  • Coronado, AZ  • Kaibab, AZ  • Prescott, AZ
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

AZ National Forest Closures

Post by chumley »

Ok, it's finally official.

Peralta, First Water, and Picketpost trailheads are closed. Plus just about everything else.

As of 2020-03-24 most are developed recreation sites and developed trailheads.

If visiting it would be wise to check "Alerts & Notices" on respective FS websites.
- Links to the forest websites are alway available on large screen devices on the HAZ Forum homepage left column: each forest name before the word "News" is clickable
- Guide Pages on HAZ tap forest name, last option is a link to the forest website

Closure links as of 2020-03-24
Apache-Sitgreaves NF

Coconino NF

Coronado NF

Kaibab NF

Prescott NF

Tonto NF
Page 1
Page 1
Page 2
Page 2
Page 3
Page 3
Last edited by joebartels on Mar 24 2020 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
cactuscat

Re: AZ National Forest Closures

Post by cactuscat »

ShatteredArm wrote:hikeaz wrote:
Maybe it's my old-school arithmetic, but taking the same amount of people, and reducing the space that they have available to occupy would seem to INCREASE the density and count of folks in the available space.
I don't think "same amount of people" is a given. There is a part of the population that will camp in developed campgrounds, but won't do dispersed camping
AND I believe the idea is to discourage people from going ... you know, maybe if half the places are closed due to an out-of-control deadly virus, maybe just maybe some people will say to themselves now is not the time and we should stay home for a while ...
Where is the "dislike" button?
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.
Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield »

@DixieFlyer
Have I ever lied to you? :)
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.
00blackout
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by 00blackout »

Surprise, surprise TNF is closing. Didn't see that one coming. lol
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

ShatteredArm wrote: Jun 30 2020 8:48 am
hikeaz wrote:Maybe it's my old-school arithmetic, but taking the same amount of people, and reducing the space that they have available to occupy would seem to INCREASE the density and count of folks in the available space.
I don't think "same amount of people" is a given. There is a part of the population that will camp in developed campgrounds, but won't do dispersed camping.
Maybe... but it seems most are in trailers anyway... how do they KNOW? ; -)
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Post by hikerdw »

Usery Park will still be open so I was wondering about Meridian TH since you would be crossing Tonto NF to get into the park so I called the Mesa Ranger District The Ranger wasn’t 100% sure but said if you were legally parked it probably was ok Hmm, not sure I’d risk the fine
Merianne
City, State: Tucson

Post by Merianne »

I live a little south of most of you and I headed off to Finger Rock Trailhead to climb to Mt Kimball in the Pusch Ridge this morning because the Coronado FS site said the trail was open. Maybe I was just hopeful. I get there and it is closed. It has been almost a month, why don't they have the trail closures updated?
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Post by Jim_H »

@Merianne
Where did you see it was open?
Reaching new standards in excelence.
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

@Merianne - I just looked at the map that everyone in various outdoor groups in Tucson are posting on Facebook. The FS has pretty much any trail you'd want to do in the Catalina's closed off for the summer. My guess is that the only trail that they MIGHT open up would be the Linda Vista trails and Pusch Peak. I can see Pusch Peak from my driveway and it was untouched somehow.

Though I have heard a rumor that Catalina State Park may open in the next few weeks after they are done cleaning it up.

I'll be down in the Santa Rita's with everyone else in Tucson this weekend.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
no avatar
DixieFlyer

Post by DixieFlyer »

Between lightning strikes and a$$hole people, it is a wonder that there is any forest left. A couple of friends were hiking in Madera Canyon today, and when they got to Josephine Saddle they came across an unattended campsite with a fire still burning. The fire wasn't flaming. but it was still hot. They used the water they had with them to put the fire out. Shortly after that they came across sheriff and forest service personnel that were looking for a missing hiker. My friends told them about the campfire, but none of them knew where Josephine Saddle was. Go figure.
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

@DixieFlyer - I was chatting with someone in my neighborhood who volunteers for SARA. The topic of the Santa Rita's came up and let's just say if I have to get lost in southern Arizona it better not be in Santa Cruz county.
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

SuperstitionGuy wrote: Jul 12 2020 8:17 pm @SpiderLegs :doh: :cry: :sk:
Pima County has half a dozen trained & dedicated SAR deputies along with a small fleet of vehicles. Then they work very well together with SARA for rescues in Pima County. Santa Cruz County (where most of the Santa Rita's lay) has maybe two somewhat trained SAR deputies and rely on a group of volunteers generally from Green Valley. If those two groups find themselves over their heads, they will contact SARA to assist as the last line of defense.
te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa »

@DixieFlyer
glad they found it and did the right thing. also glad santa rita is still open.. im going to florida canyon next weekend.
squirrel!
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

Haven't had time to parse through it all, but the Bighorn Fire team had their last online meeting last night. The big news is that Sabino Canyon is closed until at least November 1st. It's going to take awhile to open up the rest of the Catalinas.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

DixieFlyer wrote:but none of them knew where Josephine Saddle was. Go figure.
Sheesh. They will have to send SARA to look for the sheriff's posse!

I hope none of you is going to Mt. Wrightson next week, during the week, because I want it all to myself.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
no avatar
DixieFlyer

Post by DixieFlyer »

If humidity levels stay up don't be surprised to see at least a portion of the Tonto Forest open before long -- perhaps by this weekend...at least that is what a little birdie told me
chumley

Post by chumley »

@DixieFlyer Given that the closure order expires on Friday, that little birdie can read better than most. Lol.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

Coconino National Forest lifts fire restrictions
CocoTheBadassNino wrote:FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., July 28, 2020 — Coconino National Forest has lifted fire restrictions on all districts due to receiving significant moisture over the last week.

Fire danger has lowered from Very High to High, and while all fire restrictions are currently lifted, forest visitors must always use caution with campfires and other potential ignition sources.

For information on preventing human-caused fires, visit http://wildlandfire.az.gov. People can also learn how to reduce the risk of damage from wildfire to homes and communities by visiting www.fireadapted.org.
- joe
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Campfire Ban Lifted on the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests
Visitors to the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests may now have a campfire. The campfire ban for the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests was terminated July 23, 2020.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

Return to “In the news...”