Linked Areas none
The_N
City, State: Payson, AZ

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Record

Post by The_N » Jul 13 2015 1:01 pm

Not Arizona related...but impressive!

46 days, 8 hours & 7 minutes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racin ... ike-record
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Record

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 13 2015 9:14 pm

and he's vegan :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Jul 14 2015 6:31 am

Very impressive, but only ten more miles per day than the unsupported record.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 14 2015 7:56 am

Wonder if he saw anything...?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 14 2015 9:03 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Wonder if he saw anything...?
Well, it was the AT, so there is nothing to see but trees, from Georgia to Maine. However, there four times when I really like the AT:

1. In early spring, when the Lady Slippers bloom
2. In late spring, when the Mountain Laurel blooms
3. In Blueberry season
4. In winter, when all the leaves are down and you can see out a little

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 15 2015 12:14 am

@big_load
I don't know anything about the AT, but except for your #4, I would think the other three are highly variable based on just exactly where you are. 2200 miles offers a few different things to see I would imagine? Maybe you're just talking about the New Jersey part? Are there blueberries in Jersey? :-k
Profound observer

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 15 2015 5:43 am

I'm no expert, but used to live ten miles away from the AT when I lived in PA for a few years. That old phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" is pretty accurate. Nothing more frustrating than to spend some time hiking up to the tallest mountain in the area only to see a wall of trees and brush. Fall and winter were the best time to hike because all the leaves were off the trail and you could actually see things off in the distance. I would have to agree with Big Load on the few sections I've hiked in PA.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Jul 15 2015 6:19 am

We are spoiled here with all the expansive views. Trees are nice to a point...
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 15 2015 6:28 am

Birders see birds on the AT. Plant lovers see hundreds of species (the Appalachian range is home to over 200 species of birds and a whopping 6,000 species of plants.) People lovers make friends (Lots of people hiking the AT make lifelong friends on the trail). Geology fans....hmmm, see a lot of trees in the way... I see what you're saying there!!

Here's the thing: I think it's great there are some very fit people out there who can do wondrous things, and they certainly have the right to make and break speed records on hiking trails. However, I don't think speed records and being "challenged" are the number one things we hikers should encourage new hikers to think about. In fact, I think it is detrimental to encourage this type of thinking.

Sure, sure, we all hike for various reasons: Exercise, peace of mind, love of Nature, getting a spiritual experience, or an interest in something specific such as birds or gold panning, etc. But we need always keep in mind that public lands are fragile, and we should always encourage activities that will help it be there in the same or better condition for the next generation. Sure, runners can be caring about the public lands, but I would bet that for many of them it's not the first thing on their minds.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 15 2015 9:11 pm

chumley wrote:@big_load
I don't know anything about the AT, but except for your #4, I would think the other three are highly variable based on just exactly where you are. 2200 miles offers a few different things to see I would imagine? Maybe you're just talking about the New Jersey part? Are there blueberries in Jersey? :-k
Really and truly, the AT is remarkably uniform in flora and terrain over most of its length. I've hiked on sections in every state but CT and WV. I've hiked multiple seasons in GA, TN, NC, VA, PA, NJ, NY, and VT. It does change a fair bit in Vermont, but up to then it's all about the same. That's why AT hikers tend to go on about the Green Tunnel and the Pointless Ups and Downs. I think it's also why hiking the AT tends to be more about the social aspect or the milestone accomplishment than the other long trails.

And yes, the AT in NJ has quite a few blueberries. Of course it also has quite a few bears, and they like the blueberries, too. :D

big_load

Post by big_load » Jul 15 2015 9:51 pm

Now chumley has me thinking about blueberries. Down in the Pine Barrens (home of the huge commercial blueberry and cranberry farms), trails are flanked with highbush blueberries as big as grapes. The last time I was down there in season, I ate enough of them to make my stomach gurgle.

The AT just has plain, old regular-sized blueberries. Also, the scat of blueberry-fed bears is quite a marvel of color and texture.

Return to “In the news...”