National monument around Sedona?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

National monument around Sedona?

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 09 2015 10:27 pm

Let the online brawl begin... This should be interesting! Can't wait to hear what some of you think...

What's rocking Sedona? A red rock monument, Obama, and a fistfight

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /72083486/
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Re: National monument around Sedona?

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 09 2015 10:33 pm

@azdesertfather
That did not sound like BobP's voice?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Dec 11 2015 6:59 am

National Monument because Sedona can't handle the traffic?

Rock is tough, I haven't noticed any wear over the years. Those are some of the cleanest trails in the state too.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 11 2015 7:01 am

The cat's already out of the bag with Sedona. Time to do that was at least 20 years ago ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 11 2015 7:49 am

I don't understand the benefit to making it a National Monument if it will still be managed by the forest service. So what changes? Some new signs?

The obvious downside is when there's a government shutdown a National Monument closes, whereas if it stays National Forest you can still hike there.
Highway to hell

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 11 2015 8:45 am

A National Monument is more Restrictive in what the Land can be used for....So there would be no Cattle, Mining etc. That's why there's a Push to make everything a Monument. Much easier to get Monument Status than Wilderness Status I'm thinking...A National Forest is Managed, a National Monument is Protected....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 11 2015 9:36 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:So there would be no Cattle, Mining etc. ... a National Monument is Protected....

This is patently false.

National Monuments are not automatically closed to managed uses such as grazing. But they can be. And the process for doing so is different from working with the FS. Perhaps that's the issue.

And what about iconic things like Pink Jeep Tours. Those are currently operated under licensing agreements with the FS. I suspect a monument designation threatens that or at least changes the way that business would be allocated?
Highway to hell

Return to “In the news...”