in stitches

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

in stitches

Post by beterarcher » Aug 16 2012 6:24 pm

any body carry sutures in their kit? My mom was a veterinarian technician and I've got a pretty good supply of them. If you don't have access to sutures you can use cyanoacrylate adhesive (krazy glue). be sure to stop the bleeding first or you will not get a good bond between the two sides of the wound. maybe since this is the first post under the first aid heading I should have started with a poll on what everybody carries in their kits.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: in stitches

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 16 2012 6:29 pm

I carry an Office Max stapler....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Aug 16 2012 6:34 pm

Unless you carry the necessary supplies to sterilize the skin before inserting the sutures, I think sutures are a risky move for infection.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Aug 16 2012 6:39 pm

Jim_H wrote:Unless you carry the necessary supplies to sterilize the skin before inserting the sutures, I think sutures are a risky move for infection.
absolutely, I also carry rubbing alcohol and Betadine solution, 4x4 gauze sponge, lots of tape to keep stuff out too.The sutures come in sterile packs.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Aug 16 2012 7:22 pm

I have betadine, peroxide and alcohol wipes in my kit as well as triple antibiotic ung (ointment). Also carry what's called Steri-strips to use if a cut is particularly deep and nasty. Sterile 4X4's, 2x2's and gauze.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Aug 16 2012 8:34 pm

I don't carry stutuers. Hell, I don't even get them when I need them. Super glue works great! I have used duct tape a few times also. I know, I am a red neck at heart. :D
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 16 2012 8:44 pm

kevinweitzel75 wrote:I know, I am a red neck at heart. :D
nah - a redneck would rub dirt on it and walk it off. :stretch: or beer
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Aug 17 2012 7:06 am

kevinweitzel75 wrote:I don't carry stutuers. Hell, I don't even get them when I need them. Super glue works great! I have used duct tape a few times also. I know, I am a red neck at heart. :D
so true, being from the construction field, i've used duct tape a lot, had to go hunt down the HVAC guys because my bosses were too cheap to actually have a first aid kit.
:doh:
Anthony Bourdain

chulavista
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Aug 17 2012 7:17 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
kevinweitzel75 wrote:I know, I am a red neck at heart. :D
nah - a redneck would rub dirt on it and walk it off. :stretch: or beer
Or cow manure... :)
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Aug 17 2012 7:20 am

kevinweitzel75 wrote:I don't carry stutuers. Hell, I don't even get them when I need them. Super glue works great! I have used duct tape a few times also. I know, I am a red neck at heart. :D
I was just going to suggest super glue as well. Never used it myself, but have seen it used as some nasty cuts ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Aug 17 2012 11:15 am

kingsnake wrote:
I was just going to suggest super glue as well. Never used it myself, but have seen it used as some nasty cuts ...
If you don't want methyl alcohol and other possible toxins in your bloodstream, you may want to use a medical form of cyanoacrylate like Dermabond.

BobP

Post by BobP » Aug 17 2012 3:35 pm

I use the Rambo method...needle and thread.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Aug 17 2012 4:05 pm

rlrjamy wrote:I use the Rambo method...needle and thread.
No Bob, you just wrap a bandana around it and call it good! :o

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=193407

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Aug 18 2012 11:24 am

Interestingly this was brought up, since my wife and I learned how unprepared we are.
Yesterday we closed the biz and went hiking at Seven Springs. Perfect morning, first folks on the trail since the rain.
A couple miles down on #4 and we encountered a large Sycamore limb across the trail. So I decided to try and clear some of it away.
I picked up a large branch about 3" across and went to throw it off to the side.
I didn't notice the ragged end it broke from and with full force jammed my forearm into it.
It went from ow to Holy pumpkin pumpkin @&%*$$#@ in 3 secs. I threw some tissue on it right away since blood was already running off my fingertips.
For a very brief moment I thought of taking a picture, but light headness was already beginning. We got into some shade and pulled out a cute little travel pack of eight 1" wide bandages, it took all 8 and the wound still wasn't covered. I got out more tissue and remembered I had an Ace wrap in the pack.
That did the trick.
When we got home and cleaned and dressed the wound (I almost lost it), we also realized what is going into the pack now.
Gauze, Coban Self-Adhering Wrap, Polysporin and tequila.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 18 2012 11:54 am

Alston Neal wrote: we also realized what is going into the pack now. Gauze, Coban Self-Adhering Wrap, Polysporin and tequila.
I'm always amused how when you youngsters get older and wiser you start thinking more like me - especially the tequila part. The next best advice I can give you is to take the CAMRA Wilderness First Aid Class. Anytime an accident like this happens, it makes you realize how much you really don't know. And how much more you wish you knew.

I think the only time I have had to give anybody a band aid was in camp. On the trail I have found that you might as well go with 4x4 gauze - anything smaller just gets blood soaked too quickly. Head wounds and hand wounds bleed profusely from all of the capillaries. I also carry some quickclot. The self adhering tape is good. Maybe a couple butterfly sutures. You saw how the ACE bandage came in handy. Adapt & Improvise. If you have enough clean water and a ziplock bag, put water in the bag, clip off a corner of the bag and squeeze it to irrigate the wound. I won't suture or dermabond wounds in the field - I'm probably just going to make it worse for the ER personnel.

Your description of lightheadedness sure sounds like you had some mild shock. I think it's smart to treat almost any injury for possible shock. Get the patient in the shade, insulated from the ground with feet elevated. I carry a Thermarest Zlite sitting pad http://www.rei.com/product/829881/therm ... z-seat-pad. Both for my comfort and as part of my MedKit. Very light. Comes in handy on hikes so I don't have to sit on the ground or on hot rocks. And I use it under a victim's back for insulation from the ground. I use the victim's pack to elevate their feet.

ps Don't give the tequila to the victim, that is for the First Aid personnel when they have successfully treated and transported the victim.
pps Duct tape comes in handy. You put that over the victim's mouth if they are complaining too much or too loudly.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Aug 18 2012 12:14 pm

@Al_HikesAZ
I noticed under age you have male.... ;)
Good info. I guess the moral of the story is Pumpkin Happens and it happens fast.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 18 2012 12:16 pm

Alston Neal wrote: Pumpkin happens and it happens fast
Accidents happen in the blink of an eye - and the action just before the accident often seemed reasonable in the circumstances. Be prepared and get the training. Always be prepared with the knowledge, skills and attitude to lead. When everyone else is losing their mind or standing around - you must make the difference.
Alston Neal wrote:@Al_HikesAZI noticed under age you have male.... ;)
My birthday is in there, but when you get to be my age, Joe doesn't list the age anymore - he just puts a "?" in the profile. People were always asking him "Is Al really that old?" and he got tired of answering. Some days I'm younger and some days I'm older. Seems to have something to do with the barometric pressure and the amount of tequila - or Serbian fruit punch - I had the night before.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Aug 18 2012 7:48 pm

Alston Neal: I feel like a lightweight. :o
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Aug 19 2012 6:13 am

I've had to make "the difference" a few times, one was when a friend and I were digging a large hole at my uncle's ranch and my friend's shovel broke. the handle went right in to his leg (CROTCH!). Had to pull out a splinter the size of a roll of Lifesavers. Pretty ugly wound. luckily my uncle had a good kit. direct pressure and the Quick Clot worked great since it didn't get his femoral artery. No, there was no Tequila in the kit, but uncle had a nice bottle of Maker's Mark! Couldn't find any Serbian Fruit Punch, maybe Al_HikesAZ could pass on the recipe. What a coincidence, I found a couple of Thermarest trail seats at an abandoned homeless camp on State Trust Land just north of where I live. Needless to say, at least one of them will be in my pack from now on. Sorry to hear about your little incident with the Sycamore limb Alston. Hope you're feeling better today, probably not though since it always hurts worse the next day. Keep it clean.
Anthony Bourdain

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 19 2012 1:02 pm

beterarcher wrote:Couldn't find any Serbian Fruit Punch, maybe Al_HikesAZ could pass on the recipe.
I have no clue on the recipe. It's a Stillernator thing. I can't even pronounce the names when I'm sober.

Return to “First Aid”