Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Winter Survival Tip - burn money

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 18 2012 1:47 pm

I saw an interesting article on a Mt. Rainier survival. The hiker burned his money
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... er18m.html
A 66-year-old snowshoer who was lost in a blizzard for two days on Mount Rainier said he stayed alive by digging out a snow tunnel and burning his paper money for warmth.
I'm going to have to start carrying dollar bills instead of twenties.
Stranded amid freezing temperatures in near-whiteout conditions on Mount Rainier, Yong Chun Kim held his trusty yellow lighter and wondered how much warmth $6 could buy.

Kim felt guilty as he watched a $1 bill quickly go up in flames. Despite the dangerous conditions he found himself in, Kim worried he was breaking the law by burning money and feared he would get in trouble for setting a fire inside the national park.

The brief warmth convinced him he should light his only other piece of paper, a $5 bill.

Kim would ultimately set fire to anything else he could spare — an extra pair of socks, bandages, a nylon scarf and a toothbrush — before he was rescued Monday at an elevation of about 6,400 feet after spending two nights on the frigid mountain with only what he had packed for a day hike.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not if we can help it.

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Winter Survival Tip - burn money

Post by chumley » Jan 18 2012 1:50 pm

I wanna know what kind of toothbrush the guy has. I'm pretty sure mine would turn into a hot melted pile of plastic before it actually created anything resembling helpful warmth.
3-minute master!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Jan 18 2012 2:37 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:I'm going to have to start carrying dollar bills instead of twenties.
Al Al Al...pesos, no not the coins, the bills.

Btw don't you visit booty clubs like you said in the other thread, you'll need to save those dollar bills... ;)
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Jan 18 2012 4:20 pm

Alston Neal wrote:
Al_HikesAZ wrote:I'm going to have to start carrying dollar bills instead of twenties.
Al Al Al...pesos, no not the coins, the bills.

Btw don't you visit booty clubs like you said in the other thread, you'll need to save those dollar bills... ;)
Dryer lint and some chapstick
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

Return to “Survival”