Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Rescue: Find my iPhone app

Post by kingsnake » Oct 16 2014 2:52 am

Not a hiker, but could have been. Might be useful to have a 'find my iPhone' app ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... later.html
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

neilends
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Re: Rescue: Find my iPhone app

Post by neilends » Oct 16 2014 7:02 am

This app resulted in an amazing but not yet concluded event for me.

My iPad was stolen from a rental car in Colorado several months ago. I sent a "this ipad is lost, please call my cell number if you see this message" notice to the iPad, through its lost feature.

Last week, someone from the country code of Pakistan (I was an international operator in college and can instantly recognize most country codes) called my cellphone. I ignore 99.9 percent of weird and unexpected calls like that, but for some reason decided to answer. On the line was a Pakistani student calling me from the airport in Mumbai, India. A student at the University of Virginia, he was flying home to visit family and wanted to deliver an iPad he'd bought to his mom, so she could skype with him when he's in the US. But when he turned it on in the airplane, my message popped up. We have no explanation for how the random dude who sold it to him was able to make the iPad function in front of him. My theory is that he used a decoy and tricked the student.

We are each figuring out what to do about this now. He's sending me photos and other info so I can actually verify his identity and story. And I'm contemplating whether to remotely unlock and then destroy the contents of the iPad so he can just keep it, in exchange for evidence I can use against the car rental company in the unlikely event I want to bother spending the time pursuing this. (I probably won't).
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." --John Adams

New2hyk
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Oct 16 2014 9:29 am

My teen daughter lost her iphone. we used this app and located it to be on her school bus(it was moving). we called her school who then contacted the driver and we got the phone back next day :y: . very useful app. :)
My daugher also blocked it with a message like Neil did but I don't know how she did it.

desert_boonie
West Siiiide Kopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by desert_boonie » Oct 16 2014 11:22 am

So this article is another reason for me to not get one of those phones?
"Never Satisfied"

ASUAviator
TruckQuadChickapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ASUAviator » Oct 16 2014 1:45 pm

@desert-boonie
Flip phones for life!! (I do like having an old iphone for maps)

desert_boonie
West Siiiide Kopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by desert_boonie » Oct 16 2014 7:07 pm

@ASUAviator
You know it, or at least until that sad day in history comes when they stop making them.
"Never Satisfied"

Return to “Injuries”