Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Snake Proofing Your Dog

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 13 2012 12:42 pm

We just had a Triplog posted where the Dog hiking with the HAZ member found a Rattlesnake. Luckily he wasn't bitten. Snakebites can be lethal to Dogs, and even if your Dog survives, the Vet Bill can run into thousands of dollars. So, even though Snake Season is almost over, I thought I would go ahead and post a couple of Resources for Snake Training and Proofing for your Dog. You can reference this topic anytime by simply entering Snake Proofing into the Forum Topic Search Bar.

Bill Gibbons (Magma Bird Dogs)
(602) 272-8008

Partners Dog Training
http://www.snakeproofing.com

I highly recommend that you use a Trainer that uses Electric Shock Deterrent as well as trains the dog in an environment that would most match the scenario. (Unleashed Dog encountering a loose Snake without the Owner babysitting) Trainers using this type of Equipment and Scenario Training use milked, defanged Rattlesnakes for the safety of the Dog.

Some may argue that Shock Collars are inhumane, but it gets the message across in the best way possible and it's a lesson that stays with the dog. I would rather put my Dog through a little stress now, than watch it fight for it's life in a Vet Hospital for a week later.

And it is always a good idea to put your Dog through a refresher course every once in awhile as well....

If you are interested in reading about the Rattlesnake Venom Vaccine for Dogs, that topic has been covered on this Forum as well... viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4968
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Snake Proofing Your Dog

Post by Alston_Neal » Oct 13 2012 1:10 pm

Always a great idea.
We had Tus done..
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6060&p=70019#p70019
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 13 2012 1:33 pm

@Alston Neal
Shoot! I did a search, somehow I missed that Thread and the Search didn't come up with it, otherwise I would have just revived the old Thread.....Thanks Alston.....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Oct 13 2012 1:45 pm

I spent 20 minutes trying to search for my own thread and ended up going thru all my posts to find it.
So it's no wonder your search didn't show anything.
No matter it's still great you posted up, since it's a good topic.

Our humble abode..

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Oct 15 2012 9:07 am

: app :

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Oct 16 2012 12:58 am

Alston Neal wrote:I spent 20 minutes trying to search for my own thread and ended up going thru all my posts to find it.
the forum is now searchable on the home page in the purple search box (as a drill down option, ie: click the "Forum" button once in the search)
- lightning fast
- highlights better

to make it really worthy...
- added the site theme "All Mine Friends" option as a new drill down option for applicable categories
Screenshot-58.png
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Oct 16 2012 11:15 am

Thanks Joe.... ;)

Our humble abode..

Return to “Dogs”