Find
Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Latest SoBo Start on the AZT?

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Trew
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Florence, AZ

Latest SoBo Start on the AZT?

Postby Trew » Sep 25 2017 9:31 am

I have an offer for a ride up to the Utah border to start a Sobo hike back towards Pine.

I am wondering, is a mid- late October start from Utah too late in the year? Maybe get going around October 20.

This offer just popped up today from someone I know in Pine.

Can I do this?

sandyfortner
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Latest SoBo Start on the AZT?

Postby sandyfortner » Sep 25 2017 8:23 pm

No. That should be a great time to go.
:M2C: Goldilocks

t_d_singletree
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Postby t_d_singletree » Sep 26 2017 7:58 am

@Trew Is it too late for what? Fall color? Above-freezing nighttime temps? Snow-free travel? As long as you're prepared for the realities of high-country backpacking this time of year, it's never too late. Some timeframes are just more ideal than others. Be informed: All things AZT can be found at

http://www.aztrail.org

Safe travels!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Postby Sredfield » Sep 26 2017 8:00 am

I second the concerns about freezing temps and maybe snow.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Trew
Junior Kokopelli

Postby Trew » Sep 26 2017 8:35 am

I am wondering about water from the Utah border to the North Rim. I am not sure I'll be able to place any water caches in that section.

steelcranium
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Seattle, WA

Postby steelcranium » Oct 17 2017 9:10 am

@Trew
Hi Trew. I'm starting AZT southbound this Thursday(10/19). Fly into Page at noon, and a shuttle arranged to take me to Stateline. Holler if you wind up starting at same time. Maybe we'll cross paths. I'll post my travels on instagram (search for: jasonrepko). And I'll post comments to the Guthook app regarding water sources. Might help if you're behind me by a day or two.

Weather looks good for next week or so. I know overnights are going to be very cold. I figure when I make it to Flagstaff I'll reassess weather and conditions and decide to forge onto the middle 3rd of the state, or, head back to mine if things don't look favorable. Generally speaking, all the long term forecasts for AZ over the next month or say a likelihood of temperatures above normal and precip below normal. But I certainly know that could change quickly as well. So, I remain informed and cautiously optimistic and will just take what nature gives me on this one for as long as she is willing.

Jason

Trew
Junior Kokopelli

Postby Trew » Oct 17 2017 10:42 am

@steelcranium

Seems I have run into some complications. I had a MRI on my hip last week. I thought it was just a groin problem. Ortho doc said, no, its a hip.

So he ordered an MRI.

If that looks ok, I would like to start on the 20 or 21st from the border and go to Flagstaff.

Everything is still in doubt right now, but I could be packed and ready in a day.

One resupply at south Rim and I figure I could buy enough there to get me to Flagstaff so no resupply box needed.

I will be 69 in December but figure I could be at the South Rim in 8 or 9 days. Depends if I can stay a night at the bottom of the Canyon.

-Trew

steelcranium
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Seattle, WA

Postby steelcranium » Oct 17 2017 10:50 pm

@Trew
I think you have a good plan. Good luck! I just got word this evening that a friend has passed, so I'm deciding on whether to continue as planed, delay, or cancel altogether.

Trew
Junior Kokopelli

Postby Trew » Oct 18 2017 5:14 pm

I was into the Doc today on a MRI consult I had last week.

MRI shows I have avascular necrosis and need a new hip joint. The right leg and hip are deteriorating rather rapidly. Surprisingly so. I should have surgery in 4- 5 weeks.

So end my plans for a sobo hike on the AZT this October. Maybe next year. left hip is showing signs of the same problem but as of right now, no symptoms on the left side. I should be ok and back out backpacking in 3- 4 months.

So the hiking season 2017 comes to a close for me.

-Trew

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Postby Tortoise_Hiker » Oct 18 2017 5:42 pm

@Trew
Good Luck!!
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Postby big_load » Oct 18 2017 7:11 pm

@Trew

It must be very frustrating, but you've dealt with worth. My sister-in-law has had both hips replaced and she bounced back pretty quickly both times. She was 64 the second time, and less active than you.

Good luck!

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”