Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Trew
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Florence, AZ

2018 Water Reports Border to Picket Post

Post by Trew » Jan 30 2018 10:07 pm

I am still recovering from hip surgery the end of November. I haven't been out yet this year. But I would like to hike from Rodington Rd to Picket post starting the end of Feb- if there is water.

Usually by this time of the year I would have been into Miles TH for a 3- 4 nighter to check water sources for myself.
So any water reports for southern AZ?

no avatar
r1grl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: scottsdale,az

Re: 2018 Water Reports Border to Picket Post

Post by r1grl » Feb 04 2018 6:40 pm

I hiked passages 17 and 18 this week. There are some small pools in the creek near Whitford Canyon and the Mud Spring stock tank was full. Also, on Friday 2-3-18, the M&F Jeepers cached about a dozen gallon water jugs where FR4 crosses passage 17. The club leader said they drive in to replace the water once or twice a month.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Feb 04 2018 6:50 pm

@r1grl Thx so much for that update, much appreciated. You gotta say kudos to the M&F Jeepers helping the AZTers out. They really are special.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 04 2018 7:06 pm

You can add water reports while posting your triplog and then they become linked to the specific water source / location for easy searching by others.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 05 2018 7:56 pm

I didn't realize that the Jeepers replaced water that often. A big THANKS to them!! Wow!
:M2C: Goldilocks

no avatar
Klaus
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Boyden, IA

Post by Klaus » Feb 17 2018 10:23 pm

Hi,?
I'm new to the forum and I'm sorry if this is not exactly on topic, but I am hoping to start a thru hike on the Arizona trail on March 1. I know it has been very dry this winter and I am concerned that water will be even more of a struggle than usual. Could anyone give me tips on where the hiker boxes are / driving directions, as I may be able to cache some water in the southern passages as I get driven down to Coronado. Thank you.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 18 2018 6:42 am

@Klaus
If you have not already done so, I'd recommend checking out the information under the 'Trail Resources' tab on the official Arizona Trail website.
Under Trail Resources the Water Sources link always has the latest pdf listing water sources and last reported conditions:
Arizona Trail Water Sources PDF

Also... right here on HikeArizona is a list of all the AZT water sources: HAZ Arizona Trail Water Reports
NOTE: Anyone can add a report too by tapping a specific source, then "add report".
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Feb 18 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
CannondaleKid

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 20 2018 8:03 pm

You can also check the new Day Hikers Guide for additional access points to cache water. If you are on FaceBook, the Arizona Trail Class of 2018 is another way to stay current on trail conditions and water sources. Lot's of helpful info and folks on there too! We have received some rain this past week, temps have cooled and it's been cloudy - all good! Certainly not enough to make up for what we didn't get in January, but it does help.

Preacher
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Saint Johns

Post by Preacher » Feb 22 2018 2:50 pm

rumor has it that someone is caching water at Ripsley wash on passage 15. is this true and if so where the hide. two weeks to go to hit this section. down to the last 100 miles.

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 26 2018 5:17 pm

Well, not sure if others are out there, but we just cached 10 gallons at mile 250.4 NOBO via the app - for any AZT hiker. If you're using the old paper maps, add 2 miles to that number. Just be sure and take out the empties please. The trail steward was also out and he said that there was a cattle tank about a half mile off the trail on 15B that was clear and full but the 2 cement tanks were very low and slow. I think that he is going to update the water sources. We didn't check on any off-trail water sources since we knew that we had water. But, there definitely was no water visible that was right on the trail.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 30 2018 9:11 am

AZT #15 TH @ Freeman Road
As of 3/28/18: 15+ gallons of water for public consumption in the box at the Freeman Road AZT #15 TH.
(There was also a 'Trail Angel' camped in an RV at the TH with a large cooler so presumably more water is available there as well)

AZT #16 TH @ Kelvin Trailhead (See NOTE below)
As of 3/29/18: We left 9 gallons of water for public use at the AZT #16 Kelvin Trailhead.
(There are over a dozen gallons for a party which are labeled for public use AFTER June 1!! Seems crazy to me to cache over 2 months in advance,and who'd want to be hiking that section in June...)

NOTE: The AZT #16 TH @ Kelvin Trailhead is NOT the same as the AZT#15 parking lot on the Florence Kelvin Highway. Kelvin TH is located just over 1/3 mile north of the bridge over the Gila River at the parking area at the end of Centurian Lane.
GPS coordinates: 33.106542 -110.979192

Also please note, the AZT #16 TH @ Kelvin Trailhead is NOT on the current AZT app, so there is no way to add water updates at that location.
CannondaleKid

Return to “AZT General”