AZT Carpooling, Shuttles & Rides

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

AZT Carpooling, Shuttles & Rides

Post by joebartels » Nov 10 2014 6:20 pm

Shuttle information https://aztrail.org/explore/shuttles/

[ space reserved for helpful information ]
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 25 2018 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
shedde
City, State: Cape Elizabeth

Re: AZT Carpooling, Shuttles & Rides

Post by shedde » Nov 14 2018 3:29 pm

Hi!
I am headed from Tucson down to the Coronado Memorial Visitor Center on Nov. 21 - I know it is unlikely other people are going at this time, but if anyone is, please let me know!! These shuttles are really expensive and I would love to share the cost if possible.
Emma

no avatar
hepatica
City, State: Simsbury, CT

Post by hepatica » Nov 19 2018 7:34 am

I will be starting nobo on March 8, 2019. I am going to reserve a shuttle from Tucson to the southern terminus so if anyone is interested in sharing a ride there will be room for 3 more hikers.
Jess

no avatar
amberjoy
City, State: Houston, TX

Post by amberjoy » Nov 29 2018 3:19 pm

Hi! My husband and I will be driving in from Houston on Dec. 18 for a NOBO hike of the first several passages. We hope to hit the trail on Dec. 19 and will need to leave the trail by end of day Dec. 27 and drive back to Houston on Dec. 28 (our family Christmas is on the 29th). We're trying to figure out the logistics of where to park and how to get to the trailhead/back to our car. The cost of a shuttle really does a number on our budget. Any ideas for where best to park (Sierra Vista? Tucson?), how to get a ride to Coronodo NM, and/or how to cheaply reunite with our car? Thank you!

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Nov 29 2018 3:37 pm

@amberjoy
Where do you anticipate being on the 27th (+/-)? I would think that you could locate someone near your finishing point to drive down with you and run your vehicle back to the finishing point. I have had good luck with outdoor/bike/kayak store employees, but as it is the season, maybe a snowbird at an RV park? Or http://homegrownmtb.com/packages/
Steward(s) may have a lead as well.https://aztrail.org/explore/trail-stewards/
Last edited by hikeaz on Nov 29 2018 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kurt

no avatar
amberjoy

Post by amberjoy » Nov 30 2018 10:58 am

@hikeaz
Thanks for the tips! We're not actually sure how far we'll make it. We're thinking we'll end up somewhere between Vail and Tucson. We've done desert/mountainous backpacking before, but not pushing for milage (around 8-10 mile days). We've pushed for milage before (20 mile days), but in flat forests. This will be our first time pushing for milage in these conditions, so we're not sure how we'll do. My stretch goal is to make it to Tucson so I can hike through Saguaro East. Saguaro cacti literally make me smile everytime I see them. :)

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Nov 30 2018 1:34 pm

@amberjoy

May make sense to hike SOBO then. Easier to hitch a ride TO Tucson than down to the southern trailhead.
Attachments
Saguaro National Park.jpg
kurt

no avatar
amberjoy

Post by amberjoy » Dec 03 2018 8:35 am

@hikeaz
I think you're right. We've reconsidered and decided to start in Tucson and see how far south we can go.

no avatar
TrueNorth84
City, State: Mayfield, New Brunswick

Post by TrueNorth84 » Feb 19 2019 8:24 am

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning on doing a section hike of the AZT starting April 1st. We were planning on doing a small stretch from Pine to Flagstaff and were wondering if anyone knew the most efficient and cheapest way to get from Phoenix airport to Pine?

Cheers,

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 19 2019 1:34 pm

TrueNorth84 wrote:
Feb 19 2019 8:24 am
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are planning on doing a section hike of the AZT starting April 1st. We were planning on doing a small stretch from Pine to Flagstaff and were wondering if anyone knew the most efficient and cheapest way to get from Phoenix airport to Pine?

Cheers,
You would look under 'Central Arizona' on the AzT website - shuttles. . https://aztrail.org/explore/shuttles/
Or...
Mountain Valley shuttles from Sky Harbor to Payson; from Payson to Pine you can hike/uber/hitch or HIKE. (928) 537-4539
Or..
M & B Sedan – Offers shuttle service to and from trailheads on the Arizona Trail between Oracle and Pine/Strawberry. 877-627-3326
Or...
Stagecoach Express @ (480) 982-8551

It's a wonderful section you are doing; have a fulfilling walk.
Last edited by hikeaz on Feb 19 2019 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kurt

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 16 2019 11:00 am

Any HAZ member who might be interested in day hiking and setting up a shuttle (with me) to hike sections 36 or 37, sometime in the next 2 months, or so? If this weather continues, it should be very pleasant. For those locations, it might be OK to either camp, or get a hotel in Flagstaff.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

Mountain_Rat
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Mountain_Rat » Aug 20 2019 5:41 pm

@Jim_H
Hey Jim. Long time no see! I just stumbled on your entry here while I was signing up for 'AZT In A Day'. If you could arrange your hike for Oct 12th, there will be a ton of people spread over the entire AZT. The association may even have 'angels' out that could help with shuttles. I'm going to be crossing three sections of Catalinas, or I would have considered some arrangement.
Last edited by Mountain_Rat on Aug 21 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

azlaurie
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by azlaurie » Aug 20 2019 5:55 pm

if you shuttle w a friend... make sure you bring both sets of keys with you. Someone, who will be nameless, thought she was crafty in hiding keys in car #1. Why? First time and well it worked out better this way backtracking. Got caught in huge storm but only short time. Watched from the Mogillon Rim for hours. Lighting show. Either way backpacking rocks. :)
Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 20 2019 6:04 pm

@Mountain_Rat

Ah, however, though I can't plan that far out, if there are going to be a lot of people out, I don't want to be. Also, I pretty much despite backpacking, so to be clear, I desire to day hike.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

Mountain_Rat
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Mountain_Rat » Aug 20 2019 6:29 pm

@Jim_H
Well, I would avoid Oct 12th then, if I were you. I think I'm gonna do the AZT as a thru hike next spring, so I'll be doing a lot of backpacking from here out.
@azlaurie
I would agree that backpacking rocks, but it can sure vacuum up all your free time and money.
Matt

no avatar
nealbob
City, State: La Conner, WA

Post by nealbob » Sep 23 2019 10:49 pm

I'm starting a southbound thru hike and I'll be flying into Page on October 5th, which is a saturday, at approximately 4pm. I'm hoping to secure a ride from Page to the northern terminus either that same day which would be ideal, or on Sunday the 6th. I'm happy to pay for gas and buy a meal on the way!

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”