Resupplying Canister Fuel at Gateway Communities?

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
RLivezey
City, State: Bethesda

Resupplying Canister Fuel at Gateway Communities?

Post by RLivezey » Jan 18 2019 9:43 am

I plan to thru-hike this Spring, starting sometime between March 15 and 25. Other than the obvious Tucson and Flagstaff, in which Gateway Communities can canister fuel be purchased? For example Kearny or the Bike Outfitter in Payson? Thanks for your advice.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Resupplying Canister Fuel at Gateway Communities?

Post by hikeaz » Jan 18 2019 12:46 pm

Walmart carries canister fuel last time I needed some in Payson (Walmart # 982483 - showing in-stock as of today - You can order online & they will hold for 7 days) .
I have one of these refill adapters (see photo; $2-$3 on ebay)) that I keep in my 'kit', easier to find those small butane canisters sometimes; even at places like Family Dollar, etc..
ACE Hdw. in Kearny should have the butane and may even carry propane/butane canisters like you are using. Their number is (520) 363-7346. Ace dealers order from a vast catalog, they may even bring in a couple with enough notice.
Attachments
Butane nozzle.jpg
Last edited by hikeaz on Jan 18 2019 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kurt

no avatar
RLivezey
City, State: Bethesda

Post by RLivezey » Jan 18 2019 2:43 pm

@hikeaz
Thanks! That easily bridges the gap between Tucson and Flagstaff.

no avatar
Jerseyfresh
City, State: Clifton, NJ

Post by Jerseyfresh » Jan 23 2019 11:08 am

@hikeaz Thanks for the canister info- incredibly helpful, especially the adaptor. I’m new to having a canister stove - my old go to was the alcohol stove which i may bring as a backup- opting for the canister stove for ease of use and easier fuel rationing and simmering and fire safety (had a few near misses).

How many days of dinner only use (strognoff, maybe a hot cocoa here and there)- might a canister last me?

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 23 2019 11:47 am

If you are a 'wind Nazi' and and make just a cup or so of water in the AM and a supper (for one) - depending on the temps.. at least 7 days.. maybe 10 or more. These numbers are for the 8 oz. (net) version. Canister stove setups are generally lighter (vs. alcohol) unless you get into needing TWO canisters between resupplies, as you would need about 25-28 oz. of alcohol. When using the 100% butane in a canister refill, the efficiency diminishes about 25%+, though as they are originally a propane/butane mix.
Last edited by hikeaz on Jan 23 2019 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
kurt

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”