Latest Reasonable NOBO Spring Start Date

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
butterfingers
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Riverbank, CA

Latest Reasonable NOBO Spring Start Date

Post by butterfingers » Feb 14 2019 3:03 pm

I'd like to hike the AZT this spring, but can't begin until April 8th at the earliest. What is the latest reasonable start date for a NOBO spring hike and where will heat and/or water become an issue? I'm an experienced thru hiker (PCT & CDT) and live in the central valley of California, so I have experience with summer heat.

Thanks for your feedback.

Loren

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Latest Reasonable NOBO Spring Start Date

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 15 2019 7:54 am

Generally we are warming up by April and May can have some toasty days - hit the 90s. Since you're a thru-hiker and desert dweller, I'm guessing you'd be OK - with certain precautions. Of course, the more miles you can do in a day, the sooner you'll be past the desert and into the high country. But, if you are in the desert during the higher temps - more water, SALT, and hike early / late, taking the warmest parts of the day to hang out. Use an umbrella. But overall, hitting the trail in early April should be fine.
:M2C: Goldilocks

no avatar
butterfingers
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Riverbank, CA

Re: Latest Reasonable NOBO Spring Start Date

Post by butterfingers » Feb 25 2019 2:46 pm

@sandyfortner
Thanks for your input. We'll see how early I can start. I may end up waiting until the fall or spring of 2020.

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”