Current conditions in the Superstitions

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pjhikes
City, State: Prescott Valley, AZ

Current conditions in the Superstitions

Post by pjhikes » Mar 01 2019 7:27 pm

Has anyone been up to Reavis Ranch Trail 109 from the north (from FR 212) going to Reavis Ranch since this last storm? Just curious how the conditions are - both getting to the trail and the trail itself and any water crossings getting to the ranch. Looking to go out after this weekend and hoping for some current intel. Thanks!

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Current conditions in the Superstitions

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 03 2019 3:18 pm

@pjhikes
Did you wind up hiking this? Just heard from 2 thru-hikers - very experienced - who used the word "hectic" to describe Superior to Roosevelt. They also suggested to my friend that we put our plan of hiking Passage 19 this week on hold.
:M2C: Goldilocks

pjhikes

Post by pjhikes » Mar 03 2019 3:54 pm

Sandy - I would agree since you are going from Picketpost. My brother in law just attempted that and had to turn back after the first day because of all the water crossings. That made me worry about my plans (we are going tomorrow) - but we are hiking in from the north on Reavis ranch trail, so that's why I posted this question. Whitford canyon is a flood area - and I guess Queen Creek was running fast and knee high. I am hoping going in from the other end will be drier. Guess I'll find out. We are still planning to go, but if it is too crazy we will bail out. Good luck with your plans! Crazy winter this year. I do feel sorry for the thru hikers out there now.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 03 2019 8:59 pm

No water crossings from the north but expect some muddy spots on the old road. It may be cold in the evening so be prepared.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

pjhikes

Post by pjhikes » Mar 06 2019 3:39 pm

Just got back - yes it was COLD on Monday night, and Reavis Creek had lots of water (maybe shin deep and flowing fast - but very doable crossings). There were a lot of downed trees and branches as we approached Reavis Ranch from the north, and we did not go much past the ranch, so can't comment on the crossings there. Still not sure what coming from the south is like, but the roads and trail from the north are all pretty good. Still some snow patches up high, but most of the snow is gone now. Only a little muddy on the trail. Some great wild flowers close to the north trailhead. Water everywhere:)

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 07 2019 1:15 pm

@pjhikes
Good to know about the snow. Thanks for posting the update.
:M2C: Goldilocks

no avatar
Alligatorjoe
City, State: Denver CO

Post by Alligatorjoe » Mar 07 2019 2:12 pm

Anyone have any updates on getting to the Woodbury TH or Rogers Trough TH?

I spoke with someone at REI who said I could get a 2wd within a mile of the Rogers Trough TH but at this point I'm more worried about river crossings and snow (and this guy's advice)...

pjhikes

Post by pjhikes » Mar 07 2019 2:33 pm

@Alligatorjoe
Wish I could help - but the best I can tell you is that I have a SUV that I couldn't get too much past FR 650 near Whitford Canyon, and I remember the hike up to Rogers Trough and that is one really rough road. I suspect snow will not be the big issue, but water crossings and mud could be a big one still. Good luck to you - wise to question that REI guy's advice:) Maybe check on some of the Off Road blogs to see if anyone has been up there lately?

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 07 2019 3:16 pm

pjhikes wrote:I have a SUV that I couldn't get too much past FR 650 near Whitford Canyon
Of the two Forest Roads to Roger's Trough, FR 172 & FR 650, the Forest Service only maintains FR 172.

So... unless you have a capable vehicle and really want to go that way, don't waste your time on FR 650... it is an UN-maintained road,use at your own risk.
CannondaleKid

wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Mar 07 2019 4:32 pm

@Alligatorjoe
I took my Jeep Patriot up to Woodbury Trailhead Sunday 3/3 with no trouble. I have 4wd but didn't need it. There is water crossing the road in spots but I didn't get into any mud.

nathanbrisk
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nathanbrisk » Mar 07 2019 4:46 pm

@Alligatorjoe
I was up at Woodbury the same day @wallyfrack was there. It's passable with high clearance, but it always makes me a bit nervous. Takes some careful maneuvering if you have any care for your undercarriage. The only difference in road conditions now from other times is that there are a few pools to cross. They're nothing to worry about, though.
leaving no trace of liberty-confining voices in my ears

no avatar
Alligatorjoe
City, State: Denver CO

Post by Alligatorjoe » Mar 11 2019 8:23 am

just checking to see if anyone was up at Woodbury or Rogers Trough TH's this weekend...

ttretta
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ttretta » Mar 12 2019 8:34 am

With the current rains, you'll most likely have water in wash crossings, specifically where you turn onto FR 172, and on an off until you get to the Roger Trough Road (FR 172A). The wash crossings may be too deep for a non-high-clearance vehicle.

Once you turn on to 172A, it's gets steep and rough. The first time I went to Rogers Trough Trailhead, I took my 2WD Ford F150, and although I made it, it scared the HELL out of me as I was slipping and sliding and it's steep. I ended up buying a Subaru Forester to get to trailheads like this, which makes it with no problem whatsoever.

Good luck!

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”