Passages 22-27 March 17-23

A continuous, 800+ mile diverse and scenic trail across Arizona from Mexico to Utah.

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
MountainChica
City, State: Durango

Passages 22-27 March 17-23

Post by MountainChica » Mar 07 2019 3:52 pm

We were planning to hike the above sections starting next weekend (March 17) from North to South. Does anyone have any current trail conditions beta? We're tough, but don't want to be stupid. Considering moving trip to Mid-April but that timing is not ideal. Anyone been around there recently? Snow in the high elevations and high/dangerous water crossings are certainly our main concerns. We are from Colorado and the snow here is melting fast, maybe it is there too... Thanks for any info people can share!

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Passages 22-27 March 17-23

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 09 2019 6:17 pm

A storm is coming in this week - supposed to hit Tue / Wed with lots of rain and snow at elevation. After that, it should settle down again, starting on Thurs. The snow has been melting quite quickly. I would say that you should be good to go by the 17th, just knowing that the north facing slopes at elevation will still have snow. The thru-hiker bubble is coming through, which will help plow down the snow on the tread. Creeks will be higher and faster that normal, but you need to consider that "normal" usually means - dry. Not to say that there won't be places that you will need to be smart about crossing, but just watch for the flash to pass.
:M2C: Goldilocks

no avatar
jdarr
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by jdarr » Mar 25 2019 9:03 pm

Am heading out on passages 22-25 April 1-6. Did you actually go? If so, what were conditions? Specifically, is trail overgrown and brushy? Lot's of snow? Anything else would be helpful. Thanks.

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 27 2019 5:54 pm

Just spoke with someone who was on Passage 23 this past week and the snow is almost all gone. I'm told plenty of dead fall. I also hear that Mormon Lake is MUDDY! I'll be out on 23b this weekend for a recon trip and again next week when we will try and remove as much dead fall as we can - you'll probably go thru in between my 2 trips, but I may see you on the trail. If not, enjoy!
:M2C: Goldilocks

Return to “Arizona National Scenic Trail”