Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
stefan_1801
Exploring Kokopelli

Sobo mid August

Post by stefan_1801 » Apr 11 2017 5:38 am

dear community,
I am from germany and am planning to hike the AZT sobo starting mid-August at the Utah border, which, according to the guide book, should be a good time to start with regard to temperatures and weather (right?). Which temperatures will I have to deal with (besides Grand Canyon) during day and night?
my second question relates to food storage along the trail. are there certain regulations in specific areas? on my pct hike I only used my food bag and the bear can where required. how did those of you store their food who already hiked the trail?
my third question relates to water caches along the way. sobos not only start later in the season but also have a "water issue" right from the beginning. what are your experiences and how are you or have you been planning?
My last question concerns the availability of canister fuel along the trail for my jetboil - any reliable data on that?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,
stefan

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Sobo mid August

Post by Sredfield » Apr 11 2017 12:22 pm

Suggest you be sure you understand how warm it will be in August. Starting then will get you into some pretty warm temps.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

stefan_1801
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by stefan_1801 » Apr 12 2017 7:58 am

could you specify that? Would october be better? Since I will not hike all of it I assumed that it would be ok for the northern parts. Further, the guidebook does not name a good time/season to hike the trail.

Terminator
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Alpine, AZ

Post by Terminator » Apr 12 2017 10:39 am

I think later than August would be cooler. I will be hiking Jacob's Lake to Flagstaff starting in late September. The later in the year the cooler it is but keep in mind that the north grand canyon closes mid-October.

Spiced Rum
Calipelli
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Apr 13 2017 4:05 am

We started Sep 15 and it was still pretty warm in the north but ok
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Apr 14 2017 8:45 pm

When folks from Germany (or anywhere unfamiliar with Arizona) seeking information, it seems to me actual temperature ranges would be more helpful than "pretty warm".
:M2C:
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 15 2017 7:00 am

I thought about trying to explain how to look up historical temperatures for each passage but was too lazy.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “AZT Hiking”