AZT Flagstaff to GC mid-Nov

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Philadelphia, PA

AZT Flagstaff to GC mid-Nov

Post by dizzy » Oct 04 2017 10:52 pm

My friend has invited me to hike the GC with her and friends the weekend of Nov 18. I, being broke after finishing a thru hike, am intrigued but wasn't sure how to do this. Then I saw that I could use my frequent flier miles, and there was availability into Flagstaff on the 11th. THEN I realized, well, heck, I could just walk to the GC from Flagstaff.

My question is of course about conditions. Looks like we're over 9000 feet for part of it. What are the chances of storms and what conditions/temps in general are we talking about. What sort of likelihood of snow is there and what sort of equipment would be needed- ie a dusting? couple inches? feet? Of course will have to play it by ear but just looking for general ideas here. I am a fairly experienced backpacker with a PCT and AT thrus. Thanks! The AZT sounds super awesome.

Logical Jingle Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: AZT Flagstaff to GC mid-Nov

Post by TheMazzicMan » Oct 05 2017 12:09 am

Flagstaff is at 7,000 ft elevation. According to, average hi/lo for November is 52/18. Average snowfall is 7". As a former resident, I've seen snow on the peaks as early as October. Other years barely any at all. You will most certainly want to be prepared for extreme cold weather.
Donovan Wood
Steward, Arizona Trail Passage 23c (Mazatzal Divide Tr, Barnhardt to Red Hills)

...he's got the Mazzic hands...

Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: AZT Flagstaff to GC mid-Nov

Post by chumley » Oct 05 2017 10:03 am

It can snow in November, but it's unusual. The ski area is at 9300 feet and very rarely has enough natural snow to open by Thanksgiving. (They make artificial snow now, so that's not an issue). Most of the rest of the hike is lower and exposed so any snowfall that occurs should be relatively easy to get through. (Watch the weather though, if a storm drops a foot of snow the day before you plan on going, it will stick around for a few days even on the open plateau).

Temps are generally 35-45 during the day and in the teens at night. (Again, temps may vary widely due to short term weather events).

I'd recommend the Arizona Shuttle depending on your level of broke -- from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon is only $32.

Another option is to find a ride. There's an awful lot of traffic that goes from Flagstaff to Grand Canyon and bumming a ride in Flag isn't terribly difficult. Creep around some of the tourist hotels or the hostel downtown and ask around.

Return to “AZT Hiking”