AZT thru hike in March 2018

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rkroeger
City, State: Austin, TX

AZT thru hike in March 2018

Post by rkroeger » Dec 19 2017 5:44 pm

Well I am committing. I've decided to hike the AZT this March. I'm gonna go NOBO, but I have yet to identify an exact date. It'll probably be the last week of March, I'm thinking. The most daunting task I am not looking forward to is figuring out resupply and water. I just got all the maps today, so planning begins this week!

Any thoughts, recommendations, complaints, adages, or friends are welcome.

- Ryland

no avatar
Jefalope
City, State: Cornville, Arizona

Re: AZT thru hike in March 2018

Post by Jefalope » Jan 14 2018 1:10 pm

I will be starting a threw hike in early Febuary. I will use some of this from Andrew.

rkroeger

Post by rkroeger » Jan 15 2018 8:28 pm

Oh man, I really can't bring myself to buy a new tent since i already have two! But reading about these Tarptents, they just seem too cool. Has anyone just used bivy sacks before? I use to have a solid one, but I was just at REI and saw they have them with pole systems so they don't lay on your face! I'm considering it.

So I just read the whole thread on water filtration, and I am probably just gonna go with a good ol' fashion katadyn pump one of some sort. I've used one in the past and it worked great. Only problem is I will be pumping like some kind of commoner... C'est la vie!

Sara - I don't know how to internet good, but I didn't see any link. I would be curious to read said blog. Also I am definitely gonna harass you about individual gear!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 15 2018 8:53 pm

rkroeger wrote:So I just read the whole thread on water filtration, and I am probably just gonna go with a good ol' fashion katadyn pump one of some sort. I've used one in the past and it worked great. Only problem is I will be pumping like some kind of commoner... C'est la vie!
Gravity filtering is so much easier. I'll only use a pump under the worst possible conditions.

rkroeger

Post by rkroeger » Jan 15 2018 9:08 pm

big_load wrote:Gravity filtering is so much easier. I'll only use a pump under the worst possible conditions.
Now you're making me doubt myself and everything I've ever known/loved... I have little experience with gravity filters, but what if I just want to refill at a stream and boogey? It seems like you just have to hang out and let it refill. I'm a millennial, I like instant gratification.

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 15 2018 9:13 pm

rkroeger wrote: ... what if I just want to refill at a stream and boogey? It seems like you just have to hang out and let it refill. I'm a millennial, I like instant gratification.
I rarely camp near water, so that's usually what I do. It's quick and easy. On dry trips I often pick two days of water from a single source, which I can do in 15 or 20 minutes. A couple liters in 5 minutes is pretty typical. Meanwhile you can sit down and enjoy a snack.

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Jan 15 2018 9:27 pm

big_load wrote:Gravity filtering is so much easier. I'll only use a pump under the worst possible conditions.
I don't understand this. I can't imagine how having to set up and deal with the whole gravity filter mess could possibly be easier than the minute or so it takes to filter a liter through a Sawyer Squeeze. I just want to get my water and go...
Go find a LonelyCache

big_load

Post by big_load » Jan 15 2018 9:44 pm

rcorfman wrote:I don't understand this. I can't imagine how having to set up and deal with the whole gravity filter mess could possibly be easier than the minute or so it takes to filter a liter through a Sawyer Squeeze.
It's not much different than that. I unroll the bag, let it fill with water, hang from a convenient spot, and plug in the hose. I get 1-1.5 l/minute.

ETA: And I'd definitely take the Squeeze over a pump, too.

FireFly
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Jan 16 2018 3:21 am

I use a combination of gravity filtering or tablets, depending on conditions

Regarding gravity filtering, I haven't bought an "official" gravity system. I use a Sawyer mini-filter + Platypus 2L bottles and use a Platypus drinking tube to create a height difference (that is what creates the force to pull the water through the filter). I have one "dirty" blatter. I have punched two holes (+reinforcements) in the solid parts to attach a piece of rope so I can hang it from a tree or bush.

If I need instant water I filter on the spot and that takes some time (often a pleasant rest stop while watching my water getting gravity-filtered). But I frequently dry-camp so then I just bring the unfiltered water and filter it when I'm camped and have all the time in the world to wait for it getting filtered.

If the water is very clear and clean (as was the case last year with a lot of the water after the Mazatzals) I often don't bother with the filter and just fill my bladders and add a chlorine tablet. It will sterilise my water while hiking. Only the water that I would drink within 30 minutes I would have to purify on the spot, but I always carried plenty of water and even when arriving at a new watersource I always had enough already purified water left for immediate consumption.

But I want to fix two things regarding my filtering system. 1) Sawyer Mini doesn't fit properly on a Platypus so it sometimes leaks while filtering (different thread). 2) I used a bandana for pre-filtering (removing floaters etc) but that isn't very convenient. I want to make a better more convenient pre-filter somehow.

FireFly

Post by FireFly » Jan 16 2018 3:27 am

rcorfman wrote:
Jan 15 2018 9:27 pm
I don't understand this. I can't imagine how having to set up and deal with the whole gravity filter mess could possibly be easier than the minute or so it takes to filter a liter through a Sawyer Squeeze. I just want to get my water and go...
You are right if the filter is brand new. But after a while the filter gets clogged and then it is going to take a lot more time and a lot of energy to squeeze the water through the filter. Gravity also takes time but at least you can relax and watch your water getting filtered or do something useful like setting up your tent, prepare food, do your laundry, etc... or even sleep!

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Jan 16 2018 6:46 am

For clear water, I still don't see anything easier than a Steripen ... dip my bottle in the water, then stir with the magic wand for 30-45 seconds, and done!
Where is the "dislike" button?

FireFly

Post by FireFly » Jan 16 2018 9:44 am

cactuscat wrote:
Jan 16 2018 6:46 am
For clear water, I still don't see anything easier than a Steripen ... dip my bottle in the water, then stir with the magic wand for 30-45 seconds, and done!
Yes I agree, they are very easy to use. I also have a Steripen myself. But personally I don't bring it on expeditions like AZT because I find it not robust enough and keeping it charged is a complication. But it is my water treatment method of choice for less adventurous travel.

no avatar
gardener
City, State: Philadelphia

Post by gardener » Feb 20 2019 1:27 pm

Sara@ssthomas19

You posted that you had a website that helped you navigate your thru hike. I didn't see it listed. Can you include?

Thanks,

Gardener

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 23 2019 12:39 pm

Not sure what she used, but I would assume it's the Arizona Trail app - Guthook. Costs 10 bucks, works off line / on airplane mode / provides a map and you - as a blue dot - on it, a guide with trail resources, elevation etc. Great resource. Go to your app store on your phone and search your apps for Arizona Trail app.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Return to “AZT Hiking”