Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
regenerator
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Wenham, MA

Bear sacks

Post by regenerator » Feb 17 2018 9:41 pm

First time hike NOBO from Mexican border, 15 days end of March. How necessary is bear bagging and if so best way to do it, tks ?

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Bear sacks

Post by te_wa » Feb 18 2018 7:58 am

10' off the ground, ~4' away from the tree trunk. i usually hang my food and such about 100 away from camp.
not just for bears, our state mammal, the ringtail cat... is a determined little bugger. mice, too.

also, a good cord that will support the mass of your bag but will not cut into the tree is desired. i use Dyna Glide.

https://theultimatehang.com/2013/03/19/ ... ct-method/
:D

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Feb 18 2018 12:49 pm

We had a good discussion on this awhile back - I don't know how to link it, but just search "bear bagging" and it should pop up!
Where is the "dislike" button?

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Feb 19 2018 5:08 am

There are many stretches of the trail where you won't be able to hang your food 10' off the ground, especially on the first half of the AZT. I used an Ursack that I hung above the ground when possible but it was often still within easy reach of bears or other wildlife. However, I have no indication that any animal ever touched it (no chewing marks or anything like that). But the wildlife DID eat the straps of my trekkingpoles that were on the ground right behind my tent!

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 19 2018 6:38 am

FireFly wrote:But the wildlife DID eat the straps of my trekking poles that were on the ground right behind my tent!
The straps are a tasty salt-lick for small critters... which is why I always kept mine inside my tent as my hands sweat quite a bit.
CannondaleKid

Return to “AZT Hiking”