Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
gardener
City, State: Philadelphia

Fall 2019 SOBO thru hike

Post by gardener » Feb 01 2019 12:16 pm

Hello,

I've done a search on this forum about the SOBO experience and am not finding a lot of information. That easily could be my fault. In any case, I'm planning to do hike around October 1 and I've got some questions:

**How's the water this time of year and how much water do people usually carry. I did the Appalachian Trail in 2018 and usually only carried a liter, but there was water water everywhere.

**What is the weather typically like? Is there a lot of rain in the fall? Also, how cold can it get?

**Any really good links about going South on the AZT?

Thanks in advance,

Gardener
Philadelphia, PA

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Fall 2019 SOBO thru hike

Post by sandyfortner » Jun 22 2019 12:30 pm

@gardener
I'm in Apache Junction so not close but can help out if I have advanced notice am not on the trail myself!
:M2C: Goldilocks

no avatar
gardener

Post by gardener » Jun 22 2019 1:31 pm

Too bad, as I'd buy you lunch if you were near flagstaff or something. Thanks for all of your help!

no avatar
gardener

Post by gardener » Sep 12 2019 1:48 pm

@sandyfortner
Sandy,

How would you get money to a trail angel? Say you ask for water to be cached at a trailhead down the trail. The angel supplies the water in advance of you getting to it. Where is the transaction?

Gardener

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Sep 12 2019 6:19 pm

@gardener
Trail angels always appreciate any help we get - it allows us to help future hikers. Some hikers pay with PayPal, some send a check, others have just given cash or even taken me out to lunch. Some pay nothing. We TAs help out as best as we can on reasonable requests regardless.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Return to “AZT Hiking”