Thruhike wether snow Temps end February ~24. Start

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Areas none
no avatar
Theirish

Thruhike wether snow Temps end February ~24. Start

Post by Theirish » Feb 08 2019 7:20 am

Hey,

I am from Germany and right now there is a lot of cold weather over there so I wondered if it is possible to thruhike the trail starting the 24 th of February, Till 1. April. Going northbound.
(Pct experience, desert hiking as well, several other short longtrails.)
Gear sleeping bag till~20 DEGREES
Temps will be around 6~10 end of February as well how much snow should I expect? Do I need ice axe this jear? So early?
Does anyone have an opinion or information like trail conditions snow pack or something?
Is it possible to camp low all the time and avoid realy cold Temps at night? By staying low?
Or am I stressing to much and everything will be Allright till February.

Thanks for the answers.

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Thruhike wether snow Temps end February ~24. Start

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 09 2019 8:31 am

Don't stress about it. You will be fine. Mother Nature may throw some snow your way in the higher elevations - such as in the 1st 8 miles -but several hikers are starting in Feb, so if you watch their posts, you'll have an idea of what's ahead. And, of course, up date your information for those coming behind you. I am guessing you won't need an ice ax - BUT do not go by my idea as I stay right away from any conditions that do require such gear. Maybe someone else with real experience can chime in on that. Your bag will be fine, especially since European ratings are generally more accurate that those we get for gear on this side of the pond. Maybe for those high elevation nights you'll want extra nutrition and/or another layer. Since you've thru-hiked before, you probably will be able to always sleep low. Get into Sunnyside Canyon rather than staying up on Miller, get over the Rincons in a day, and maybe at Mount Lemmon plan a nero and get yourself a place to stay. Even if you push on to Oracle Ridge, you'll be exposed for a while and just the jaunt up from Hutch's Pool through Wilderness of Rocks to Summerhaven is a pull! Should be a good water year and the desert, we're hoping, will be even more beautiful than usual. Expect the most weather as you go north of the Rim and certainly north of the Grand Canyon until the last 20ish miles or so.
:M2C: Goldilocks

no avatar
Theirish

Post by Theirish » Feb 09 2019 12:14 pm

@sandyfortner
Thank you so much :)

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 10 2019 5:39 pm

Having hiked in Germany and Austria and having had experience hiking with German and Austrian hikers, I would estimate that most can just about hike the AzT with one leg.
Last edited by hikeaz on Feb 10 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

Post by Trew » Feb 18 2019 3:06 pm

@Theirish
I am starting Thursday, Feb. 21. I am 70 and hike slow. You might see me out there with another guy, same age.

I wish you well!

no avatar
Theirish

Post by Theirish » Feb 19 2019 4:55 am

@Trew
Hey jeah looking forward to meet u I might wear a kilt. :) that's how you spot me. Have a good start. :)

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 19 2019 6:50 pm

So I'm sure you're noting our current weather. Just keep and eye on it and plan accordingly. This can't last forever!
:M2C: Goldilocks

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 12 2019 8:39 am

This is my new favorite thread in the whole forum ! :sweat:

Return to “AZT Hiking”