Accessing trail by car for sister of Army vet hiker

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SharonWaters
City, State: NJ

Accessing trail by car for sister of Army vet hiker

Post by SharonWaters » Apr 26 2019 3:08 am

Hello, my brother Jay ("Milkman") is hiking the trail with Warrior Expeditions (he is a 30-year Army veteran). I would like to meet him on the trail for one day, and am seeking suggestions of where I could access the trail easily by car and then be able to get a taxi or ride back to my car. I only want to hike for one day because I don't have camping gear (and don't want to carry gear if I had it). I could hike about 10 miles for the day so long as it's a moderate or easy section of the trail. My brother reached Superior last night, and is hiking about 10 miles/day and stopping for a day or even two when he reaches towns. I know it's impossible to predict where he will be in the future, but I am looking at flying out there May 11-17 or sometime May 22-June 1. Because I'll be flying out from New Jersey, I will come for a week so I have flexibility to meet Jay and also can see some sights when I'm not hanging out with him. Looks like he''ll be in the Tonto Forest May 11-17 time frame, but those sections of trail look like they are difficult/far to access from a car. Too hard for me to predict where he might be May 22-June 1.

I appreciate any advice you have. I realize my request may seem kooky to the experienced AZT hikers on here, but I am a proud sister who wants to give my brother a brief burst of motivation as he continues to undertake this incredibly challenging endeavor!

wildwesthikes
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Accessing trail by car for sister of Army vet hiker

Post by wildwesthikes » Apr 26 2019 5:52 am

I am not a thru hiker but I know the areas he's hiking. The distance ~10 mi/day over the entire Tonto forest northbound to the base of Coconino Forest at the Mogollon Rim would take about two weeks give or take a couple days. You have to factor in that most thru hikers will take a zero day here and there to rest and the mileage can vary depending on the terrain. There is no way to know for sure but by May 11th your bro should be in the Vicinity of Strawberry, AZ. By mid June he'll easily be in Flagstaff or past it; either town would be a good place to meet up.

You definitely need to be in contact with him in advance; there is no way you will walk out on the trail and meet him by chance. Ask him to take a zero day or two up in Strawberry. That will be the best place for you two to meet up in the region of North Tonto / lower Coconino Forest along the AZT and is probably where he will be.

Here is a map of the vicinity:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.4323 ... =mbt&a=mba

Notice the AZT heads east-northeast from Strawberry, sharing its designation with the Highline Trail. This is about a 13mi section of trail before the AZT turns back north. There are several trailheads along the Highline where you might be able to arrange a shuttle back to your car. however, getting to the the Washington Park TH where the AZT heads north might give a regular car trouble. It might be more worth your time to do half of that section with your brother and then turn around back to the car. Hope it all works out!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 26 2019 6:44 am

Pine, AZ would be an ideal location to connect. There is a nice trailhead just off the highway, and by then he'll be wanting a day or two off the trail, and Pine a is a great place for that as well. As mentioned above there are several access points going east (trail-north) from Pine where you could jump on or off the trail. Washington Park was vehicle-accessible 6 weeks ago, and there is a particularly (IMO) nice mile of trail going north from there. Mileages along the AZT (Highline) from Pine to sedan-access points northbound:

Pine TH -- Geronimo TH 8.6
Geronimo -- Mail Creek 8.5
Mail Creek -- Washington Park 1.9
Washington Park -- FR 300 2.2
Last edited by Sredfield on Apr 26 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Apr 26 2019 8:27 am

For a map that loads faster, easier to read and supports HAZ
[ Arizona Trail :: map ]

Specific to Pine [ AZT - Pine AZ :: map ]
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Apr 26 2019 5:35 pm

Isn't Pine to Washington Park about 17 miles? I don't think there's a good 10 mile or less stretch for you to join your brother on with ride service except maybe up near Flagstaff. So I think meeting him and walking a few miles or staying with him on an off day would be best.
Go find a LonelyCache

SharonWaters

Post by SharonWaters » Apr 27 2019 7:50 am

@Sredfield
Thanks for the detailed info. Any suggestions on how I could get from Geronimo back to Pine (besides hiking)? Thanks!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 27 2019 11:50 am

@SharonWaters
If you're there on a weekend hitching is a possibility, on a weekday finding an angel to pick you up would be the best bet. There is traffic on that road--the TH is just outside a large scout camp facility--so a ride is a possibility.
Last edited by Sredfield on Apr 27 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

SharonWaters

Post by SharonWaters » Apr 28 2019 5:06 am

@Sredfield
Thank you. As of now, I'm leaning toward hiking toward him from Pine the day he is to arrive there, hanging out with him in Pine for one or two zero days, and then I could hike a few miles with him toward Geronimo and then hike back to Pine. Seems like that will be easiest.

Return to “AZT Hiking”