Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
VegasMGM
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Las Vegas, Nevada

Arrangements for Hiking AZT Passages 29 & 30

Post by VegasMGM » Apr 26 2019 10:55 am

Me and a friend from Las Vegas, NV are looking to hike AZT passages 29 and 30 next week, We need to establish a plan for transportation to a start point then off an end point. What are some good options?

ihikeaz
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Arrangements for Hiking AZT Passages 29 & 30

Post by ihikeaz » Apr 26 2019 3:07 pm

There are places to park at the ends of both passages that are very close to the highway. No 4x4 is needed for either passage. We camped just off highway 87 before hiking 29 and there is a campground at the end of 30.

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Arrangements for Hiking AZT Passages 29 & 30

Post by sandyfortner » Apr 27 2019 9:10 am

Yep, parking and access are generally easy access. It will be WET unless your up on the mesa, so plan on maybe an extra pair of socks to switch out. Gooseberry Springs access was closed last week when I went by due to all the mud / standing water, but I know that a crew has since been in there making improvements. If the road is gated off when you arrive, you can look around for places to pull off / park along Lake Mary Rd. The end of the passage / TH is just south of the road entrance and right along Lake Mary Rd so easy enough to finish the entire passage. Also, improvements are being done on the road to Mormon Lake. This road is a horseshoe off of Lake Mary Rd. Last week one end was completely closed. If either end is closed, just use the other entrance - they both go to the same place.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Return to “AZT Hiking”