Find hike buddy?

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
HikingDude
City, State: Minnesota

Find hike buddy?

Post by HikingDude » Feb 15 2012 10:48 pm

Any suggestions on finding a hiking buddy for Mexico to Patagonia? I'm starting around March 16, need to arrange a ride from Tucson, and would like to hike with someone through the first 50 miles or so. Actually, my wife and mom would like that. ;)

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Re: Find hike buddy?

Post by johnlp » Feb 16 2012 7:35 am

Are you doing this as a day hike? Juan Jaime iii & I are considering it.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 16 2012 8:29 am

50 mile day hike ? Go for it!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 16 2012 11:15 am

Is he talking about hiking from the Mexican border SOUTH? Through Mexico? And Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, to Patagonia, Argentina?

Oooooh, now I remember, he did ask about the AZT awhile back. Oh, well. Scratch that... I guess he is talking about hiking the Huachuca and Canelo Hills...three passages of the AZT to Patagonia, Arizona.

I'll leave my original comments up, just for laughs. :)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 16 2012 1:02 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Is he talking about hiking from the Mexican border SOUTH?
In New York, you can drive from Mexico to Florida in about four hours.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 16 2012 2:06 pm

big_load wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:Is he talking about hiking from the Mexican border SOUTH?
In New York, you can drive from Mexico to Florida in about four hours.
A seemingly cryptic statement, but I figured it out pretty quick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_(town),_New_York
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida,_M ... ,_New_York
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 16 2012 3:14 pm

@azbackpackr I've actually driven between those two towns twice in recent years, most recently on Labor Day weekend last year. Florida isn't far from me and is on a convenient back road, so I pass through there a lot. I've never been to Patagonia, which is odd because I've been in the area fairly often. I'd like to hike that stretch of the AZT someday.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 16 2012 5:07 pm

Patagonia is kind of a neat little town.

HikingDude

Post by HikingDude » Feb 21 2012 7:05 am

Well, I was looking for someone to hike with from the Arizona Trail southern trailhead northwest to the town of Patagonia, Arizona. I expect this to be about 3 days, not a dayhike (even though krud did that last year).
I don't want to set expectations of being a thru-hike buddy with someone since everyone has their own hiking speed, style, needs, and wants. Expecting to be compatible with a stranger for 6 weeks doesn't seem like a good plan to me. But, being flexible for a few days to the first trail town makes sense to me.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 21 2012 9:56 am

HikingDude wrote:Well, I was looking for someone to hike with from the Arizona Trail southern trailhead northwest to the town of Patagonia, Arizona. I expect this to be about 3 days, not a dayhike (even though krud did that last year).
I don't want to set expectations of being a thru-hike buddy with someone since everyone has their own hiking speed, style, needs, and wants. Expecting to be compatible with a stranger for 6 weeks doesn't seem like a good plan to me. But, being flexible for a few days to the first trail town makes sense to me.
If I ever get around to doing that trail, I'd want companions from the border to I-10, at least. You have a reasonable goal of 3 days, 50 miles to Patagonia, I think. Personally, I´m older and slower, so it would take me at least 4 days.

no avatar
malpi
City, State: Yuma, AZ

Post by malpi » Feb 22 2012 12:21 am

my son and i are planning a trip around that time, maybe the following week not sure yet.

EnPy
City, State: Northern California

Post by EnPy » Feb 29 2012 9:09 pm

I was planning about the same amount for that section, but I am probably starting a week later; if you end up getting delayed let me know. I am sure my mother and boyfriend would be happier if I wasn't that close to the border by myself.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Mar 01 2012 8:08 am

The question of safety-illegals-border comes up at every AZT information event. The stock answer is that while there may be some element of increased risk, the Arizona Trail Association has never received a report of negative incidents in this regard. There are encounters, but to the ATA's knowledge, nothing bad has happened. So while going in pairs may be a good idea, personally, I wouldn't let it deter me from doing the hike I want to do. If you must camp in the Huachuca's, get off the trail a ways and don't camp at the water source. When I hiked that section in November of 2010 I saw no one but Border Patrol, and not so much as a candy wrapper of trash along the trail. Also, be advised that the Monument Fire burned sections of the Passage 1, but the FS has repaired the trail.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

HikingDude

Post by HikingDude » Mar 06 2012 4:39 pm

Found my buddy. :y:
We plan to hike past Patagonia and then see how our pace, temperament, and habits work together. Since both of us are looking for 'alone' time, we'll most likely break apart then.

Return to “AZT Hiking”