Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mac5attack
City, State: Park City UT

Late Start Date for a AZT thru...

Post by mac5attack » Mar 22 2012 12:50 pm

Hey All,

I just started doing some research about the AZT and the thru-hiking bug is back quicker than expected. I've done the AT, and last year the PCT, and have significant experience working in the high deserts of southern Utah, so the thought of desert hiking and the challenges of water and travel don't fluster me, but I am concerned that I might not be able to start the trail early enough to Thru-hike it safely. Would a mid-April start date be too late? Additionally, is there a good place to get off trail about 10 days to 2 weeks in? I'm hoping to get back to southern Cali for the PCT kickoff event, then return to the trail. Possible? I can easily average 20 miles a day in moderate terrain.

Thanks for the help!

Annie

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Late Start Date for a AZT thru...

Post by joebartels » Mar 22 2012 1:25 pm

Hi Annie,

Historically the lower areas of the southern end are in the mid 80s in April, though low 90s are certainly possible. You would probably be around Oracle in about 12 days judging by your response.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

mac5attack

Post by mac5attack » Mar 23 2012 7:29 pm

fantastic, I might give this a whirl!

no avatar
Hiawatha
City, State: Sierra Vista

Post by Hiawatha » Apr 10 2012 1:37 pm

My hiking buddy and I just did the first section over the weekend and Bathtub Spring has lots of water. There was intermittent, decent looking water all along Sunnyside Canyon (though not in the very first part; it's mostly lower down), but it wasn't flowing from the upper regions (snow is almost all gone) so I'm not sure how long it will last. We are supposed to get rain this weekend, but who knows... The trail was very easy to follow as the signs were prominent and plenty. I have to say, it's really warming up out there. Makes for a light pack in terms of sleeping gear, but be prepared for some warmth and a need for more water.

It was just above 50*F most of the way up the side of the Huachucas, but got up to around 85*F down in the canyon on the west side. It's going to be *hot* by the time you reach the low desert.

I plan to do sections 2, 3, and 4 around the 19th so maybe I'll see you out there! Enjoy your hike.

mac5attack

Post by mac5attack » Apr 11 2012 7:40 pm

How light of a sleeping bag do you recommend? I tend to rely on my REI sub Kilo, that weighs just over 2 lbs, but has a rating of 15 degrees (though after a PCT hike, 20 or 25 is more likely.) I have a 45 degree bag as well, but I'm worried that might be too light of a bag.

Any thoughts are helpful.

Annie

no avatar
Hiawatha
City, State: Sierra Vista

Post by Hiawatha » Apr 12 2012 9:25 am

On our hike (yes it took us two days to hike the 20 miles! LOL!) I used a Big Agnes 15*F, wore a light fleece top, a cap, and medium weight smartwool leggings, and socks and was pretty comfortable. I sleep VERY cold. My hiking partner used a sleeping bag rated 35*F. She didn't wear much in the way of sleeping clothes as I understand, and she was also comfortable; she doesn't sleep as cold as I do. When I woke up I checked the temp and it was about 52*F. I have no idea how it will be in the upper elevations, but by the time you get there it should be warming up considerably.

I'm one of those hikers that likes comfort, so I tend to over carry so I'm not cold at all at night. Oh, and I didn't even use my sleeping bag in the proper manner for optimal warmth (close around the neck, hood up). I did use a sleeping pad and so did my hiking partner (I used an inertia x frame, she used an Ether Thermo6). We both used tents.

I hope some of this information helps!

Return to “AZT Hiking”