last minute GPS data advice

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mac5attack
City, State: Park City UT

last minute GPS data advice

Post by mac5attack » Apr 14 2012 8:49 pm

I am quick to admit that anything techie is not my strong suit. I have a Garmin etrex vista Hcx that I want to load the AZT waypoints for, but it is telling me the GPS is full after the 20th passage or so, and I cannot upload any more waypoints into the GPS. I have both mapsource and basecamp but cannot figure out a way to make it fit. I am also a member of the AZTA and have been using their data.

I leave early monday morning...does anyone have any quick advice to make it work for me?

Annie

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: last minute GPS data advice

Post by Grasshopper » Apr 14 2012 9:28 pm

mac5attack wrote: I have a Garmin etrex vista Hcx that I want to load the AZT waypoints for, but it is telling me the GPS is full after the 20th passage or so, and I cannot upload any more waypoints into the GPS.
The older Garmin technology, ie- your eTrex Vista HCX has a maximum internal "saved memory" download capacity of 20 tracks not to exceed a total of 10,000 points, thus probably the reason it will not accept any additional downloads. Sorry I can't help you over-ride this unit limit, but I did want to let you know why it is happening :(
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 14 2012 10:24 pm

I believe the Vista HCx has a MicroSD card slot in the battery compartment. Getting a microSD memory card will greatly expand your memory but it still won't allow you to add more than 20 tracks. Hank is definitely correct about that. Its a stupid design because you can add a ton of memory via the microSD card but only for maps. My 60csx is like that, too. My recommendation would be to shrink your track points and combine them so that you'll have 2 (and a couple with 3) passages per 500 point track. They won't be the most detailed tracks but they're better than nothing. Your other option would be to buy an Oregon or something that can hold enough tracks but that would only give you a day to learn how to use a new GPS before embarking on a major journey.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 14 2012 10:43 pm

If you have a Smart Phone, there are some good GPS apps out there that'll do the trick as well. Battery life obviously sucks, but if you can charge at the end of the day each day, it "ain't no thang".
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 2:38 am

Tough_Boots wrote:I My 60csx is like that, too.
Oh, my goodness. Now I know what the problem was with that thing. (My 60CX has also become highly inaccurate as to mileage. Not sure what to do about that. And maps that were loaded into it have disappeared. I may sell it on ebay.)

Have a great trip! Are you thru-hiking it, the whole thing?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Apr 15 2012 3:20 am

@azbackpackr
mmm... not sure what that has to do with the 20 track limit. Is the mileage on your tracks after they've been saved inaccurate or is it your odometer? They are actually two different functions. Also, if your maps are disappearing, your microSD card has probably gone corrupt. Try replacing it. Either way, I wouldn't sell a gps on ebay if its maps are disappearing and its reading are inaccurate-- seems like a dangerous thing to do.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 5:37 am

You're right I should get a new card. It's the odometer which is off. I don't know if the tracks are off. I am terrible at electronic stuff, so I barely ever used it for anything but the odometer and elevation. The map program I had on there was bootlegged from a friend. Can't remember the name of it. Map something?

Then PCwithnumbers added something to my GPS, a track, for our Pt. Huitzil trip last fall, and following that, the map program I had on there disappeared and in its place appeared the original highway map program.

Maybe I should buy a legit map program. But I got discouraged after I bought this new laptop, was trying to upload tracks onto HAZ trips, and unlike with my old PC, what it does is upload every single track I have on there, even though I tell it to only load one.

I just don't have the patience for it. I was having fun with it when I first figured out how to upload tracks to HAZ, heck I was dang proud of myself, but now it is too complicated to upload tracks to HAZ with my newer laptop. Someone, (Hank?), said they would help me with that problem but indicated it would be very time-consuming for me to learn it. But why should it be so hard? I can't remember the name of the map program I had on there. Joe referred me to that guy because of that particular map program. I just don't get why these things are so difficult to figure out. I have known quite a few people who bought them and then gave them away to a younger person to mess with. But why doesn't the Garmin company make them easier to use?

Also, with all the lessons you find here and there, there are never in-depth lessons offered for how to use these things. And I am really dense, so anyone who wants to help me with it, I'd need several sessions. First I need to buy a map program. Which one should I buy?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 15 2012 8:48 am

What Hank said. The older generation Garmins have a 20 track, 500 data points per track, overall 10,000 data point limit. I learned this the same way you just did, while trying to load the AZT. This can be managed by splitting the tracks with more than 500 data points in two, loading the 20 that it will take, then reloading at resupply points if you have someone meeting you with a computer (compatible with your GPS of course).
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 9:03 am

Also, which map program do people like? I had a bootlegged MapSource. It was not very detailed. How about National Geographic?

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Apr 15 2012 9:45 am

@mac5attack Exactly what Tough_Boots & Sredfield say. When you are ready to upgrade your Garmin eTrex GPS Receiver, if you would like to upgrade to the new technology Garmin eTrex, then the eTrex 20 should solve this 20 track max / 500 point per track limit.. our HAZ "Outlander" has a new eTrex 20 and can confirm or deny this as I have not read the Garmin specs on this new unit. Enjoy your journey on our AZT :)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

mac5attack
City, State: Park City UT

Post by mac5attack » Apr 15 2012 10:30 am

Hi All,

Many thanks for letting me know the issue. I had just blamed my own inadequacies with using computers, but it's a little comforting to know that this time it wasn't me!!! Seems I will be bouncing my netbook somewhere near Phoenix now. Thanks so much for all your help. I'll be in Tucson this time tomorrow. Hope to see you all on the trail...come on out and join me for a section or two!

Annie

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 15 2012 11:46 am

Looks like the 10,000 data point limit has not been conquered:
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-62 ... tions.html
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

blisterfree
City, State: lithosphere

Post by blisterfree » Apr 15 2012 11:58 am

You can use TopoFusion mapping software to solve the problem. Load the official ATA Google Earth kml file into the program, right-click on the trail line, Simplify the track to 10,000 points then Split it into 20 tracksegs of 500 points each. Finally, save it as file type GPX and upload it to your GPS unit. (This works with the free trial version of TF as well.) You'll lose some data "integrity" during the conversion, and the track segments won't conform to the bounds of the trail's passages (the tracksegs divisions are geographically arbitrary), but nonetheless you'll have a breadcrumb from Mexico to Utah that you can rely on at a time of need (if any).

nonot

Post by nonot » Apr 15 2012 12:07 pm

Download and install the map from my sig.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Apr 15 2012 1:04 pm

@azbackpackr
Liz, save yourself the bother of posting on Ebay... I'll buy your "defective" unit (if the price is right...)

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 1:13 pm

I'm not saying you broke it, Paul. After all, I had a bootlegged program on there to start with. And the odometer had been off for some time. Anyway, if I do decide to sell it, will let you know first.

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Apr 15 2012 3:10 pm

Blast that bootleg software! You've got my number...

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks, I may take you up on it. I'll be coming home broke on May 12, and my mortgage will be due. Sigh..

PLC92084

Post by PLC92084 » Apr 15 2012 4:05 pm

azbackpackr wrote: I'll be coming home broke on May 12, and my mortgage will be due
Home Sweet Home! Be it ever so humble...

I may have to sell a couple of pints of plasma but we'll work something out. I'll try to think of creative financing methods while I'm traipsing New Hance.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2012 4:16 pm

Ok. I will consider it.

Return to “AZT Hiking”