Spring 2015 Thru-hike and Greetings!

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Spring 2015 Thru-hike and Greetings!

Post by cavaroc » Jan 08 2015 1:56 pm

Hey all! My girlfriend and I are thru-hiking the AZT this spring and can't wait to leave! We're coming from Jackson Hole, WY and plan on starting some time in the first week of March. Anyone else starting around that time? We're always up for meeting new people and hearing about their experiences.

We've got the guidebook and loaded the map from the HikeArizona app on our phones. Are the topo maps in the store worth it? Are they printable? I only ask because the book is very heavy and we're hoping to leave it behind.

Also how's the precipitation looking this year so far? We're hoping for at least average wetness in the mountains to make water a little easier going at first, though we don't plan on skimping on it when necessary.

Thanks in advance for any responses and looking forward to meeting some other folks on the trail!
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

cavaroc

Re: Spring 2015 Thru-hike and Greetings!

Post by cavaroc » Jan 28 2015 1:12 pm

WhiskeyTaylor - Definitely hoping to cross paths out there...so to speak. Great idea about joining the association. I'll have to see if my girlfriend did or not. I'd like to join if not.

Chumley - Thanks for the weather update! We'll start checking on it as our departure gets closer, but I appreciate knowing what's going on in the meantime.
Hike often. Hike happy.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jan 28 2015 1:24 pm

chumley wrote:I ran into two AZT thru-hikers on a day hike in April 2012
Carovac good luck with your journey on the AZT

This is from a section I did during a storm in May of 2011 http://hikearizona.com/photoset=15437&start=0
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

cavaroc

Post by cavaroc » Jan 29 2015 9:03 pm

Beautiful, Bob! Can't wait to get started!
Hike often. Hike happy.

cavaroc

Post by cavaroc » Feb 11 2015 6:42 pm

Hey all - quick question as our departure gets closer. We've recently read a bit about killer bees. I used to live in Arizona and though they were certainly present in some places, I don't remember them ever being much of an issue while out hiking. But a recent blog about an AZT thru-hike has me wondering again, though I haven't seen too many other sources talking about it. Are they an issue and should we be ready at a moment's notice to be able to set up a defense, or are they not that bad? ...especially if we're not in the habit of disturbing wildlife, insects included?
Hike often. Hike happy.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Feb 11 2015 7:34 pm

I have had trouble with bees, but not killer bees as far as I know. I'm sure that somewhere someone will run into them, but I think it's about the equivalent to the likelihood of getting bitten by a snake or hit by lightning, etc.

As far as I know the only defense against killer bees is to run a mile, unless you happen to be carrying a bee keeping suit around with you?
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Bob Lacourse
City, State: Gilbert Az

Post by Bob Lacourse » Feb 12 2015 11:26 am

@cavaroc
last Saturday the 7th I hiked passage 18. At mile 308.2 as you enter the wash we heard a very large group of bees. We could see a couple bees flying around, but could not see the beehive.
We proceeded with caution with no incident.

blisterfree
City, State: lithosphere

Post by blisterfree » Feb 12 2015 12:38 pm

That's usually how it goes, seeing a swarm at some distance away, either near the hive or on the move. You're only likely to get into trouble if you actively disturb them by coming too close, which normally won't happen unless you're off-trail, scrambling, climbing, that sort of thing. Otherwise the odds of an unfavorable encounter are probably in line with the odds of a grizzly bear coming after you - wrong place, wrong time, freak accident.

Of course you'll come into close contact with bees at a majority of the lower-elevation water sources, but Africanized or not - their behavior is completely different in that situation and they will almost universally ignore you - even if you happen to disturb a few while dipping a bottle. Actually, I often find myself playing rescue to the odd bee swimming around without a life preserver in the cow trough. I figure it's an exercise in cultivating a little good karma, if nothing else. One of them even shed a tear of gratitude before flying off, or was it just agua fina?

cavaroc

Post by cavaroc » Feb 13 2015 3:29 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the all the feedback. That'll help put as at ease. Also, @blisterfree, I'm very familiar with grizzlies up here so that analogy actually helps out a lot.

Another quick question - are rodents eating through tents ever an actual problem? We plan on hiking when cougars/bears could be around, but then we've read about the border crossings in southern Arizona and aren't really sure about the best way to store things through the night. If we keep our packs and everything with us in the tent, will rodents try to chew through the tent? If not, will the packs be safe nearby on the ground?
Hike often. Hike happy.

ramblinghemlock
City, State: Clarkesville, GA

Post by ramblinghemlock » Feb 16 2015 5:14 am

Hello Cavaroc- My friend and I will be starting the Arizona Trail from the Mexico border around this time too. Hope we run into you and WhiskeyTaylor out there. We joined the AZ Trail Association as well and got good information and maps there. This thread is also very helpful for us, so we will continue to look for info here as well.

See you down the trail!

-Joan ("Hemlock")

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Feb 19 2015 1:10 pm

@cavorac

Mice can be a big problem when around regularly used campsites, other places not so much. Grand Canyon they will be a big problem. That said, I always hang my food and trash and haven't had any problems with mice attacking my tent or backpack.
Go find a LonelyCache

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Feb 19 2015 2:38 pm

Agreed with rcorfman about the mice issue - mostly a problem in well-used areas. But they will chew through anything to get to food they want, even a pack you are actually wearing! :lol:
Ravens also like to raid unguarded food, but won't usually steal food if you are actually there.

Think about a ratsack or Ursack and hang it for food storage if you want to be extra certain.
At Grand Canyon, the major campgrounds below the rim (Bright Angel, Indian Garden, Cottonwood) have food storage boxes, which simplifies things there.
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 19 2015 3:27 pm

I had no varmint problems on a more-or-less thru hike in 2010.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “AZT Hiking”