Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Bob Lacourse
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert Az

solar charging devices

Post by Bob Lacourse » Jan 28 2015 10:17 am

I've been researching solar charges to charge my smart phone, Delorme Inreach Explorer, and my Garmin GPS watch while hiking the AZT in April and the PCT in 2016.
Have been looking at the Goal Zero 10 solar charger that I can attach to my backpack.
Is anyone familiar with this particular solar panel, or are their better options.
Will it charge the 3 devices I have with no issues.

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: solar charging devices

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 26 2016 7:08 pm

@joebartels
Oddly enough, it comes with no way to attach it to anything. All that is accessories that have to be purchased separately.
:M2C: Goldilocks

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 12 2017 5:52 pm

Excited to try this new toy out!
20170412_170105.jpg
ToughTested Solar 15 ... same size as my phone in it's case, about twice as thick and heavy ... supposed to charge my phone/devices 10 times, and I can keep it topped off with the solar ... definitely going to be fantastic for backpacking and will make life easier car camping too! I might be turning into a gadget geek. :D
Where is the "dislike" button?

Stavman
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale

Post by Stavman » Apr 13 2017 7:31 am

Interested to see how it works

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 13 2017 9:36 am

cactuscat wrote:charge my phone/devices 10 times
Where are you going that requires that kind of capacity? :o

On our recent Royal Arch trip (5 days / 4 nights in the canyon), I made it with the Anker 3350mA battery. It weighs just 3oz.

I ran RouteScout for the entire hike, took 351 photos, listened to some music, etc. My 2.5 year old iPhone 6 doesn't have the same battery life it did when new, but I was 43-55% remaining in the evenings, and charged to 90+% before bed using the Anker. It was empty on the 4th night before I got a full charge so I used another Anker I had brought with me just in case. But I would have made it back to the trailhead the next day on the charge I had so it wasn't totally necessary.

That's just my experience. Devices, use, etc. will be different for everybody.

But for the price/weight/size/convenience factor, I highly recommend it. See Amazon

This extra battery is now standard equipment anytime I go anywhere. It's as important to me as a headlamp and firestarter as emergency gear.

(Slightly larger at 4.2oz, I have this one too but I almost never use it because the other one performs so well.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 13 2017 10:51 am

@chumley
Lol - I'm sure I don't need that much capacity, but it's the one I saw and liked so I bought it.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Return to “AZT Hiking”