Section hiking this spring

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Section hiking this spring

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 04 2015 8:16 pm

I am trying to section hike and always looking for someone to shuttle / carpool / hike with. Would like to do something this weekend - maybe the Canelos? Have spring break from Mar. 14 - 22 and definitely want to get some miles in. Passages 14 and 15 for sure. Then maybe Rincons, Redding - I'm open for suggestions if anyone wants to hike. I'm not fast but plan on approx 13-16 miles a day, more or less. In May I'm thinking Oracle Ridge - Summerhaven to American Flag, then maybe north - Babbit Ranch to Flag. Again, let me know if you're interested in sections and we can come up with a plan.
:M2C: Goldilocks

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Section hiking this spring

Post by rcorfman » Mar 11 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Sandy,

It was nice meeting you last Saturday along the Pine Mountain passage. I think I might have seen your ride at Bushnell Tanks parking Sunday. As I was pulling out she was out with your dog? I didn't make the possible connection until several miles later.

I'm looking for someone to hike the first three passages with and my normal partners aren't available this spring. I won't be able to during your spring break though.
Go find a LonelyCache

sandyfortner

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 11 2015 7:12 pm

HI. Good meeting you. Yep, that was my daughter and her dog, waiting on me. Took me just over 9 hours - I was VERY slow on those last 3! But the hillside with the flowering bushes smelled so good - it was worth the last uphill! Well, looks like I just signed on to do passages 1-3 this weekend with 2 others. They are taking a day longer than I would like, but I don't think it's wise to do 14 and 15 this Sat - Tues. as I had planned. Temps are up to 88 degrees Mon and Tues. Wendy just got off there on the 10th and she said that for passage 15, you need to haul all the water you need from Freeman Road to the Kelvin Hwy. I can't haul that kind of weight for 28 miles. So, since Maria already has the other passages lined up, guess it's best to throw in with her. If you could pull off this Sat - Tues / Wed. you would be welcome to join in also. I may look at 14 OR 15 towards the end of next week - looks like rain / cloud cover and lower temps coming,but I know that you said you already have those in the bag. When I get off 1-3 I will be looking for something to finish the week / weekend with. Am also looking at Red Hills - # 24 as an easy backpack. Trail portion is only 14 miles, but need to add 7.9 miles for a total of 21.9 due to having to hike in / out from nearest vehicle access at either end. Also looking at Walnut Canyon - again as easy backpack or LONG day - 18.5 miles on that. I need to be home on Sunday, the 22nd, but can hike Thurs - Sat next week if you have any time and would put #14/15 aside if I can shuttle cars with someone and not have to bug my daughter with that. In May I hope to do from South Kaibab - SOBO for as far as I can get on a weekend or maybe a 3 day weekend. If you still need to do anything there, we can plan those trips. Well, better go start packing. Let me know if any of the above work for you.

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Mar 11 2015 9:35 pm

sandyfortner wrote:you need to haul all the water you need from Freeman Road to the Kelvin Hwy
If you detour .5 mile off the trail there is water at Ripsey Ranch.

blisterfree
City, State: lithosphere

Post by blisterfree » Mar 11 2015 9:50 pm

Old Ripsey Ranch is technically private but it hasn't been an issue to my knowledge. However, the metal tank / trough has been empty in recent years, with the only available water down the windmill's well, possibly reachable with a rigid water bottle tied to a trekking pole. Might not be worth the detour, especially considering the likelihood of water farther north at the "100 gallon stock trough" and cement trough / spring in Ripsey Wash (which may be what mazatzal is referring to?). The two Ripsey-named sources, so named, are several miles apart.

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Mar 11 2015 10:11 pm

Was there yesterday - tank with water inside the corral.
Last edited by mazatzal on Mar 12 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

blisterfree
City, State: lithosphere

Post by blisterfree » Mar 11 2015 11:20 pm

No kidding? Change must be the only constant, eh? Good to hear!

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Mar 12 2015 8:05 am

Not sure about water quality with cattle in the area.

sandyfortner

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 29 2015 8:36 pm

This Friday, April 3rd = anyone want to do a day hike? Passage 20 - Pigeon TH to Roosevelt SOBO, 25 - Whiterock Mesa SOBO or 31 - Walnut Canyon - either direction?

Return to “AZT Hiking”