Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Passage 8-13 Hike Questions

Post by rcorfman » Mar 24 2015 3:39 pm

Hi,

Next week I'm planning on hiking passages 8-13 from the Gabe Zimmerman trailhead to the Tiger Mine trailhead.

The first night I plan to camp near Rincon Creek, outside of Saguaro National Park. Does anyone know if there is water at the creek or will I need to bring enough to get to the creek at mile 2 of passage 9 the next morning? I haven't seen any up to date water reports for it.

I'd like to limit the last day's hike to around 15-17 miles, so with passage 12, Oracle Ridge, does anyone know if there is reasonable camping a few miles beyond Dan's Saddle?

Thanks for any help.
Go find a LonelyCache

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Passage 8-13 Hike Questions

Post by sandyfortner » Mar 25 2015 7:59 pm

Did that passage on Jan. 11th - so it's been a while. Lots of H2O then. Hm. In the desert, a few weeks can make a big difference in the water department.
:M2C: Goldilocks

blisterfree
City, State: lithosphere

Post by blisterfree » Mar 26 2015 1:13 pm

Rincon Creek tends to be very washy and unpredictable, but the small drainages crossed by the Quilter Trail should harbor some pools and flow this year. That's only 2 or 3 miles beyond. With an early cool start, it might be splitting hairs to worry about your additional water needs if Rincon were dry, no?

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Mar 26 2015 2:10 pm

I was more thinking about needing to carry water for post hike, dinner, the night, and breakfast in addition to what is needed for the hike to Rincon Creek. It should be an easy enough hike so I'll carry an extra liter or two but was hoping to avoid that since the pack will be heavier with six day's food.
Go find a LonelyCache

blisterfree
City, State: lithosphere

Post by blisterfree » Mar 26 2015 2:34 pm

Could you have dinner back at La Selvilla "campground" instead? Or push on the extra 2 miles past Rincon Creek (if need be) and maybe find a place to cowboy camp right on the trail near water. You know what makes a good breakfast in the desert? Something that doesn't require any extra water. :) :)

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Mar 26 2015 3:29 pm

blisterfree wrote:Could you have dinner back at La Selvilla "campground" instead? Or push on the extra 2 miles past Rincon Creek (if need be) and maybe find a place to cowboy camp right on the trail near water. You know what makes a good breakfast in the desert? Something that doesn't require any extra water. :) :)
Good ideas, thanks!

Pushing on past Rincon Creek sounds plausible except for the part about only permit camping at Grass Shack or Manning Camp while in SNP. My permit is for Manning Camp the next night and I figured I wouldn't have enough trail time to make Grass Shack the first day.

I think I'll just water up at La Selvilla so I only carry the extra for half the hike. Plus by then I'll have an idea how much I'll need depending on how hot it is.

Any info on the camping along Oracle Ridge?
Go find a LonelyCache

ramblinghemlock
City, State: Clarkesville, GA

Post by ramblinghemlock » Mar 31 2015 7:01 pm

I got water at Rincon Creek on March 15th, and it was flowing well- sorry not to have updated the water report for that passage.

Return to “AZT Hiking”