Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Areas none
no avatar
BRipp
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,Az

Wanted TIPS for hiking NB Passages #22-#28

Post by BRipp » Sep 21 2015 2:52 pm

I am going to be hiking a portion of the Arizona Trail (passages #22-#2 in October, weather permitting. NB

What tips do you have for that portion of the trail? Always good to get multiple opinions!!!

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Wanted TIPS for hiking NB Passages #22-#28

Post by Sredfield » Sep 21 2015 4:40 pm

Align your nose with the trail, place either foot ahead of the other, repeat as necessary.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 21 2015 4:43 pm

Ok, smart pumpkin response aside, there are numerous postings on this forum applicable to your request. If after reviewing them you have questions, I and I'm sure others will be happy to weigh in.

Join the Arizona Trail Association and study their website, it has about everything needed.

Happy Hiking!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

no avatar
BRipp
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by BRipp » Sep 21 2015 5:01 pm

har har. :) When I get more time I will poke around some more. I just figured it would be a quick easy way to get multiple opinions for that time of year. Thanks!

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 21 2015 5:51 pm

When planning a through hike I don't recommend the quick and easy way! Reading and research are essential, and probably the best piece of "safety gear" you can equip yourself with!

That said, October is a nice time of year along that stretch with pleasant days and cool (possibly cold) nights. Unless there are good storms between now and then I'd guess only the most reliable perennial water sources will have water for you.
smoke it

no avatar
BRipp
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by BRipp » Sep 22 2015 7:12 am

@chumley

Thank you. I have been doing research and am just about ready. Just want to see if anyone has anything to add that I may have missed. I will have water caches so I don't need to rely on water that might not be there.

writelots
Wendipelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Sep 22 2015 11:29 am

Enjoy a night at the LF Ranch... It's a great chance to experience a part of Arizona life that many people never see.
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Farwalker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by Farwalker » Sep 22 2015 9:02 pm

The Blue Ridge campground removes the faucet
Spigot on Mondays since it's closed on that day.
So don't depend on water there on Mondays....
:-(
"Quit fussin about all the details and just hike." :D

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Sep 22 2015 10:05 pm

Farwalker wrote:The Blue Ridge campground removes the faucetSpigot on Mondays since it's closed on that day.So don't depend on water there on Mondays....:-(
Actually, I think it's that the campground closed for the winter yesterday, Monday, Sept. 21. I imagine that's probably the case for most all the campgrounds the trail passes above the rim.
Go find a LonelyCache

no avatar
BRipp
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by BRipp » Sep 23 2015 3:23 pm

rcorfman wrote:Actually, I think it's that the campground closed for the winter yesterday, Monday, Sept. 21. I imagine that's probably the case for most all the campgrounds the trail passes above the rim.
The good thing is that is just about where my little journey will end. That is good to know, though. Thanks!

Farwalker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by Farwalker » Oct 04 2015 2:40 pm

Actually that was intel i got from another hiker...wrong. The Blue Ridge RANGER STATION is the place they remove the spigot. When I got to the BR Campground yes it was closed but there is great water pumped from the Moqui spring above it to water boxes buried in the earth by each campsite and those were still functioning. As far as open/closing times of the campgrounds the USFS website states the campgrounds are open in October, which BR was not, the other Moqui was still open to groups only, so I didn't go in. The AZT bypasses the main entrance to BR campground and I had to back track and crawl under a new fence and cross the creek bed to enter the closed campground for water.
"Quit fussin about all the details and just hike." :D

Spiced Rum
Calipelli
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Oct 04 2015 5:04 pm

The Mazatzal is a nightmare of thorny overgrowth right now but water sources are good. Wear some thick pants. Just finished the first 450 miles of the trail going southbound so if you have any specific questions let me know.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

no avatar
BRipp
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by BRipp » Jan 05 2016 10:41 am

@Spiced Rum

Thanks. I read about that, bummer that it's true. :) Oh well grew up here so I'm used to it. Where did you leave off? How was it? I didn't get a chance to do it in the fall. So bummed, too many hurtles that it seemed I was being told not too. I'm shooting for spring, but I really wanted fall. Less people the better for me.

no avatar
wyatt_here
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa az

Post by wyatt_here » Aug 03 2018 11:29 am

@chumley
Asking for opinions is research

no avatar
desertadapted
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by desertadapted » Aug 13 2018 4:27 pm

@BRipp
Once you pick up the Guthook app, feel free to PM me. I have done #22-26 and can run through some high points, but it'll be harder without the app.

Return to “AZT Hiking”