Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
cavaroc
Free Roamin' Pelli
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Favorite Water Treatment?

Post by cavaroc » Jan 06 2016 10:32 pm

Hi all,

I sadly had to leave the AZT last year early, but I'm giving it another go this spring. After experiencing a few of the stock tanks, I'm second-guessing my water purification methods. I had been using a SteriPEN in a 1-liter bottle that was filtered through some fine tea filters that fit conveniently over the bottle's mouth, but didn't always seem to catch everything. So I'm wondering, what's everyone's favorite method of water purification?
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Favorite Water Treatment?

Post by te_wa » Sep 24 2016 8:22 am

if the sawyer squeeze or mini threads won't mate with your bladder or bottle, use these. http://sectionhiker.com/evernew-backpac ... d-bottles/
:D

Stavman
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale

Post by Stavman » Oct 08 2016 11:47 am

I have been using a MSR Mini-works for Years... Have loved it.. easy.. simple.. But HEAVY at 18oz. Plus when I am getting Camp water... I have plenty of Time to wait for a GRavity system to fill my water recepticals instead of pumping them full for 6-12min.

So I started looking into options... and started on this thread, where I saw the Sawyer Mini discussed.. I just order a few things things today to start my gravity filter system

A verso Flow filter system, just like a sawyer mini at 1/2 the cost.. and Good reviews
A Platypus Carbon Filter... for those nice Pond scum puddles in AZ...lol
some Sawyer Fast fill and inline adapters
and some light weight Dry Bags

These systems look real easy... wide mouth to fill the bag fast.. and drip to fill my little 16oz water battles from fry's
Plus the weight should be around 6-8oz.. so a LOT of savings there.

Another Fun DIY project for backpacking... wooo Hooooo

Stavman
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale

Post by Stavman » Oct 09 2016 12:13 am

Think Ill be about 6.7oz... ish.. all landed this eve.. Now ta burn Holes... Cut Tubes.... and prep it

Hoping ta start my Backpacking season around Nov 11th... my Birthday

Hmmm where to go????

LoLo
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Durango, CO

Post by LoLo » Oct 26 2017 8:44 pm

@rcorfman
I've read that people had a hard time with the Sawyers clogging. I'm pretty convinced after hours of reading about water treatment, that either the sawyer squeeze or mini is the best option in general, but can you tell me anything about how frequently they clog? The water sources on the AZT are notoriously capable of clogging any filter . . .

LoLo
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Durango, CO

Post by LoLo » Oct 26 2017 8:46 pm

@toddak
Do you use a pre filter for the nastier water? How frequently do these clog when using the nastier water sources on the AZT?

RowdyandWidowmaker
Sonoran Heatopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandWidowmaker » Oct 26 2017 9:16 pm

Hops and Barley :y:
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Oct 26 2017 9:19 pm

Get the full size Sawyer-- not the mini. It's much faster. They both come with a plastic syringe so you can backflush it to clean it fast an easy. Simple.
Last edited by Tough_Boots on Oct 27 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 26 2017 11:16 pm

I never had any problems with either the Full Size Sawyer Squeeze or the Mini, but I have found that the Mini needs Backflushing more often, probably because the Filter is almost half the size... If you've got Debris in the Water, yes, I would most likely run it through something first although if the Water is just Silty, I haven't done that and it's been fine.... Just don't let your Sawyers Freeze or they are supposedly no good after that....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Oct 27 2017 1:31 pm

@Tough_Boots
Get the full size and order the cleaning coupler for $3. It works way better than the syringe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018NJC1A6?tag=hikearizona
You aren't late if you don't show up!

Mick
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Mick » Oct 28 2017 11:35 pm

When we did Royal Arch I took along a lifestraw which I used to check the salinity of water source before using the Sawyer Squeeze. If I suspect the water sources will be small puddles I tend to take my MSR filter as it is easy to pump.
AZMick

sandyfortner
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Nov 02 2017 7:45 pm

I use a Sawyer regular size. Ya, it clogs and I just backwash it. Easy enough to do and I love the convenience of just letting it hang and filter while I do other stuff.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Mudhole
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Mudhole » Nov 09 2017 11:58 am

Using the Sawyer Squeeze with 2 smartwater-type bottles is my preferred setup. If you get the bottles that come with the flip-top cap, their nozzle fits up against the output nozzle of the Sawyer Squeeze and you can backflush with it without needing to buy the separate coupler. The Sawyer screws right onto these types of bottles so you can just fill and drink right out of the filter.
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clean away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

wha
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Nov 09 2017 4:49 pm

@Mudhole
I read a comment somewhere, attributed to a Sawyer representative, that that method is ok for the mini, but not enough pressure for the Squeeze. You end up just clearing a narrow channel through the filter. I use the coupler with a sawyer bottle and sit on it, blasts the junk right out. I use a spare smart bottle flip top to replace that hard-to-work push-pull cap on the squeeze. Smart water bottles are a great piece of gear for only a dollar.

Return to “AZT Hiking”