Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
cavaroc
Free Roamin' Pelli
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Favorite Water Treatment?

Post by cavaroc » Jan 06 2016 10:32 pm

Hi all,

I sadly had to leave the AZT last year early, but I'm giving it another go this spring. After experiencing a few of the stock tanks, I'm second-guessing my water purification methods. I had been using a SteriPEN in a 1-liter bottle that was filtered through some fine tea filters that fit conveniently over the bottle's mouth, but didn't always seem to catch everything. So I'm wondering, what's everyone's favorite method of water purification?
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Favorite Water Treatment?

Post by hikeaz » Jan 31 2018 10:02 am

chumley wrote:
Jan 31 2018 9:55 am
hikeaz wrote:
Jan 31 2018 9:42 am
[ youtube video ]
Does this guy also have a video on how to turn what should be a 15-second demonstration into 7-minutes of nap-inducing boredom? :doh: :-k [-(
What was that? I think I dozed off..... I was watching his "Determining the rate of grass growth" video...
Last edited by hikeaz on Jan 31 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Jan 31 2018 3:33 pm

@rkroeger
I've never heard of anybody having a problem like this. Smart water bottles, 2 liter soda bottles, plus many other bottles all have the same threading that the Sawyer filters have. Strange.
Go find a LonelyCache

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Feb 01 2018 1:57 am

rcorfman wrote:
Jan 31 2018 3:33 pm
@rkroeger
I've never heard of anybody having a problem like this. Smart water bottles, 2 liter soda bottles, plus many other bottles all have the same threading that the Sawyer filters have. Strange.
I don't know about Smartwater bottles, but the Sawyer Mini doesn't properly fit Platypus bladders because of different threads. I discovered that a bit too late but was still able to use this combination on the trail (with some minor leakage every now and then that I was able to solve by more tightening - not a good solution though).

It is my understanding that Sawyer has a standard thread and Platypus a propriety one (probably in the hope they can make more money from accessories). There may be other bottles around with proprietary threads but the only other one I have tried is a 1.5L Pepsi bottle and that one fits perfectly with the Sawyer.

Regarding bladders, I was told Evernew bladders do also have the same (standard) thread as Sawyer so I'll get one of those for my "dirty water" bladder next time. I've ordered one a few days ago so I'll find out soon.
Last edited by FireFly on Feb 01 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireFly
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Feb 14 2018 2:52 am

Regarding my post above, I can now confirm that the Evernew bladders fit the Sawyer filter perfectly. So I will use Evernew as my 'dirty' bladder from now on.

As you can see in the picture below, the threads are very different (L:Platypus, R:Evernew). Platypus is the odd one out. Evernew and Sawyer use the same industry standard thread, similar to most softdrink bottles.

Platypus + Sawyer might work for a while (in fact, I used that combination on my AZT thru-hike) but it won't work reliable (or at all) especially over time when the rubber seal inside the Sawyer gets compressed and leaks start occurring. As the picture shows the thread on Platypus is wider so when you try to screw the Sawyer on it gets stuck before a reliable seal is established.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Feb 14 2018 7:43 am

just an observation: when i purchased my Squeeze from a box store last year, the average retail from most sellers was $23.
maybe due to popularity, the average price a year later is $40.
i cannot imagine the Squeeze with couple of crappy little bladders is 40 bucks worth of filter. price gouging?
:D

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 15 2018 10:03 pm

Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Return to “AZT Hiking”