AZT Thru Hikers in Spring: 2016

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

AZT Thru Hikers in Spring: 2016

Post by Trew » Jan 16 2016 11:04 pm

A friend and I are planning to start in early to mid-March on the AZT heading nobo. Just wondering who else is planning on hiking the AZT this spring and maybe we can post that information under this thread.

Doug/Trew and Liz/LaZorra are starting around March 10- on a Thursday. I have a ride from Florence down to the border on that day.

Ooooo
City, State: Arizona

Re: AZT Thru Hikers in Spring: 2016

Post by Ooooo » Jan 17 2016 3:06 pm

Hi Doug and Liz, I am thinking about doing a long section of the AZT in the Spring. How many miles a day are you guys planning on doing? I am not sure if I want to go solo, so perhaps there are other solo women, or groups going.

Trew

Post by Trew » Jan 17 2016 7:06 pm

Lisa, Liz and I don't do big miles- 10- 14 miles a day, probably pick up some as we move along. In the past we have tended towards getting started a little later in the morning- not crack of dawn people and usually into camp at least an hour before dark. Liz is in her 60s. I think she might appreciate someone to share motel room expenses with. We are not a married couple and do not plan to share a room on town days, but we would consider it, maybe, if there was a threesome. I have done that before.

Ooooo

Post by Ooooo » Jan 17 2016 9:21 pm

Hi Doug and Liz, actually 10-14 mile days sounds perfect! I was worried you might be doing 20 mile days. I am fine with not crack of dawn starts. My pace is 2- 2.5 mph. I am 50 yrs old, happily married no kids, living in Colorado. Feel free to email me at Lisashik@yahoo.com
Maybe I could join you guys for the first 300-400 miles? Sharing motel rooms at resupplies sounds great too. There is nothing as sweet as a shower after a week in the backcountry.

Trew

Post by Trew » Jan 18 2016 9:30 pm

Lisa, I send you an email.

cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Post by cavaroc » Jan 19 2016 1:45 pm

I'm also planning on doing the trail, but I'm shooting to be on the trail within the first week of March. I should be going at a slow(ish) pace though to do a lot of photography along the way.
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

no avatar
Nunki
City, State: Vermont

Post by Nunki » Jan 29 2016 8:56 am

Hi: I am planning a NOBO thru hike of the Arizona Trail starting sometime in March. I'd love to find a hiking partner or two that has some personal knowledge / experience with water issues along the trail. My biggest concern with this trip has to do with water sources, necessary cache locations, etc. Anyone interested in partnering up? I am from Vermont, in my early 50's and have hiked the Long Trail, JMT, Colorado Trail as well as climbed numerous mountains, etc. I am not interested in racing the trail; just getting some exercise and enjoying the scenery.

oldmanonthetrail
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 29 2016 9:56 am

Hey Guys
I will also be starting nobo around that time .My name is Dave and I am from Canada.I am 56 and will be soloing as long as my feet hold up. My progress will be too sporadic to join up with anyone (and I'm a cantankerous old bastard)...lol
I would love to meet up with anyone who is going as well .If there is any room with your ride on the tenth I would be very grateful and of course would pitch in for any costs. I am arriving in Phoenix on the sixth and will have a car for a week or so to get around and do some day hikes and get acclimatized.Please let me know if I can squeeze in anywhere.
I will be bringing a small solar panel so I can assist emergency phone charges etc..
Cheers and look forward to meeting you all.
Dave

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jan 29 2016 4:08 pm

Coming back today from a hike today I checked the stores in Pine, no one sell canister type fuel for stoves they are available in Payson.
jk

steady
City, State: Bristol, TN

Post by steady » Jan 30 2016 3:30 pm

I'm flying into Tucson very late on March 1st, and hoping to get started either the 2nd or the 3rd. I'm fairly moderate paced, and pretty happy to hike alone. I would be happy to share transportation if anyone is starting at the same time though.

Adrian Adams
City, State: Prescott, Arizona

Post by Adrian Adams » Jan 30 2016 5:15 pm

Howdy,
My name is Adrian, I will be hiking NOBO starting March 5 or later if there is still too much snow. I will be doing 15 - 20 mile days. I will be at the Arizona Trail Associations Annual Member Meeting on Feb. 6. Great opportunity for those of us who live in Arizona to meet up. Ras and Kathy will be there to give a talk about their recently completed Yo Yo of the AZT.
Look forward to meeting y'all.

RobSteady
City, State: Springdale, Utah

Post by RobSteady » Jan 30 2016 8:00 pm

I'm Rob Steady (trail name). I'll be starting the first week of April. Hope to share the cost of transportation to the trailhead with someone. See you all out there!

Quester
City, State: Bellingham, WA

Post by Quester » Jan 30 2016 11:34 pm

I'm intending to go to the Tucson Book Fest from March 12-13, then probably get to the south border start point the next day or perhaps the day after (thus the 14th or 15th). I'm pretty much a solo hiker since I really value my quiet connection with nature in ventures like this, but would enjoy sharing a ride to the border with someone to mutually reduce costs. Thanks.
~ Michael

Trew

Post by Trew » Jan 31 2016 9:10 pm

Nunki wrote:Hi: I am planning a NOBO thru hike of the Arizona Trail starting sometime in March. I'd love to find a hiking partner or two that has some personal knowledge / experience with water issues along the trail. My biggest concern with this trip has to do with water sources, necessary cache locations, etc. Anyone interested in partnering up? I am from Vermont, in my early 50's and have hiked the Long Trail, JMT, Colorado Trail as well as climbed numerous mountains, etc. I am not interested in racing the trail; just getting some exercise and enjoying the scenery.
send me an email at doug-sue@centurylink.net.

Liz and I drove down to Montezuma TH and hiked to the starting point and back. We are not planning on doing that 4 mile round trip on the day we start the AZT- that is done for us.

Spiced Rum
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Feb 01 2016 1:56 pm

So my brother and I did the trail this last fall SOBO and I collected data for the AZT and Guthooks. So if anyone is interested or has questions or concerns I may be able to settle them for you in advance of your hike, or just talk to you about general trail info you may not be aware of. If interested PM me and I will send you my phone # or email.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

Trew

Post by Trew » Feb 02 2016 11:09 am

Spiced Rum wrote:So my brother and I did the trail this last fall SOBO and I collected data for the AZT and Guthooks. So if anyone is interested or has questions or concerns I may be able to settle them for you in advance of your hike, or just talk to you about general trail info you may not be aware of. If interested PM me and I will send you my phone # or email.
I have a question- how is Vail as a trail town? I was thinking of resupply at Colossal Cave but I like to pack tostadas for lunch on the trail and I like a laundry mat about every 7- 10 days. Does Vail have that?

Trew

Post by Trew » Feb 02 2016 11:29 am

Liz has decided to go solo this year. That means I'll be going solo, too, at least for now. Probably start on March 10, hike up to Picket Post which is close to home, then take a week off, and have my son drive me up to Utah and hike back to Picket Post and end there.

wha

Post by wha » Feb 02 2016 5:56 pm

Trew wrote: I have a question- how is Vail as a trail town? I was thinking of resupply at Colossal Cave but I like to pack tostadas for lunch on the trail and I like a laundry mat about every 7- 10 days. Does Vail have that?
I don't recall ever seeing any laundry service in the area. There's a Quikmart and Walgreen's for groceries.

JimAH
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by JimAH » Feb 03 2016 9:46 am

Greetings, all. I too will be starting a NOBO in March. I'm waiting to see what days I get permitted for the Grand Canyon to determine my exact start date. Once that's determined, I'll post an update. Anyone who happens to need a ride from Phoenix to the trailhead at that time would be welcome.

no avatar
MRBhiker16
City, State: Flagstaff, arizona

Post by MRBhiker16 » Feb 03 2016 10:33 am

Hey y'all my names Rudy, I'll be section hiking the AZT from passage 11 (Santa Catalina Mountains) to passage 30 (Mormon Lake). My start date will be in March as well anywhere from March 15-17th.

Will anyone be around the Santa Catalina Mountains by then? I'll be hiking an average of 20 miles a day if not more because I'm on a deadline to make it back to Flagstaff before the middle of April. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the trail hopefully.

Return to “AZT Hiking”