AZT Thru Hikers in Spring: 2016

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

AZT Thru Hikers in Spring: 2016

Post by Trew » Jan 16 2016 11:04 pm

A friend and I are planning to start in early to mid-March on the AZT heading nobo. Just wondering who else is planning on hiking the AZT this spring and maybe we can post that information under this thread.

Doug/Trew and Liz/LaZorra are starting around March 10- on a Thursday. I have a ride from Florence down to the border on that day.

oldmanonthetrail
City, State: toronto

Re: AZT Thru Hikers in Spring: 2016

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Feb 03 2016 4:21 pm

I just downloaded the permit form for Grand Canyon and am wondering what the proper entry and exit trail head would be if I wanted to spend 2 days at Bright Angel?

Spiced Rum
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Feb 03 2016 4:42 pm

Kaibab
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Feb 03 2016 5:30 pm

More specifically, South Kaibab for entry and North Kaibab for exit. I highly doubt you will get a permit for April or May as sites at Bright Angel CG are very popular (corridor trail) and have already been allotted for those months. You may call the backcountry office and ask. See the GCNP website for the number.
Go find a LonelyCache

johnnyo979
City, State: Ky

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 03 2016 8:12 pm

@Trew
My name is Johnny Osborne and I am planning on NOBO around mid march. I am from the Appalachian Mountains. I know nothing about the desert and have only been in it for a few moments when I traveled west as a boy. I have some fear about the adventure. I would love to have someone to correspond with to reduce my concerns. I have hiked 600 miles of the Appalachian Trail in the last two years. I would like to start out hiking 12 to 15 miles a day until I get built up. I am not interested in doing twenty to twenty five mile days. I am 48 years old. If anyone is interesting in discussing things with me I would greatly appreciate it. I would even like to talk with someone, anyone, over the phone.

Ooooo
City, State: Arizona

Post by Ooooo » Feb 03 2016 9:18 pm

@NunkiI
I might be interested in joining you for the first 300 miles. You can email me at lisashik@yahoo.com. Lisa

Ooooo
City, State: Arizona

Post by Ooooo » Feb 03 2016 9:33 pm

Nunki wrote:Hi: I am planning a NOBO thru hike of the Arizona Trail starting sometime in March. I'd love to find a hiking partner or two that has some personal knowledge / experience with water issues along the trail. My biggest concern with this trip has to do with water sources, necessary cache locations, etc. Anyone interested in partnering up? I am from Vermont, in my early 50's and have hiked the Long Trail, JMT, Colorado Trail as well as climbed numerous mountains, etc. I am not interested in racing the trail; just getting some exercise and enjoying the scenery.
@Nunki
Hi Nunki, send me an email at lisashik@yahoo.com. I might be interested in joining you for the first 300 miles. Lisa

no avatar
GeeeM
City, State: Cardiff, Wales

Post by GeeeM » Feb 08 2016 2:29 am

I should be starting on NoBo on Tuesday 22 or Wednesday 23 March, I drop off my rental car in Sierra Vista on Tuesday so will see how I feel and how the rides to the start look.

I'm driving down to SV from a race in Monument Valley at the weekend so may cache some water on the drive down. I'm not a thirsty hiker and plan/hope to be doing 20-25 miles/day.

Look out for a middle-aged chap from the UK out on the AZT - that'll be me :y:

no avatar
desperado
City, State: Raleigh, NC

Post by desperado » Feb 08 2016 4:39 am

G'day ladies and Gents....

I'm forever hopeful that I'll make a NOBO Thru-Hike in early March of this year. I'm sure I'll run across at least some of you along the trail.....quite exciting isn't it....the whole thought process leading up to what should be a great experience for all.

I'm 50's with some backpacking experience but not a lot....so I plan to take it easy and progress as my body and mind allows.

Lukim Iu...(Pidgeon...for cya there)

Will....Desperado

JRocket
City, State: Albuquerque, NM

Post by JRocket » Feb 08 2016 6:51 pm

Let me hop on this trail-wagon...

My name is JR. I'll be in Tucson the first week of March.

If anyone would like to share a shuttle/ride to Coronado National Monument around that time, I'm on board.

JimAH
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by JimAH » Feb 08 2016 9:39 pm

Hey JR -- I was hoping to hit the trail on 3/9. Is that too late for you? If not, I'm game to share a shuttle.

JRocket
City, State: Albuquerque, NM

Post by JRocket » Feb 09 2016 5:09 pm

That's a bit too late for me, but I don't have sissy hankshaw-sized thumbs, so if I don't get a hitch 'til then, I'll gladly share a ride with whomever.

cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Post by cavaroc » Feb 09 2016 5:21 pm

I'm shooting to be on the trail some time in the first week of March, possibly around the 5th-10th depending on how quickly I can get my stuff together and supplies mailed out, as well as snow pack in the higher elevations. I'd be happy to split a ride with someone if they'd like to head out around that time. Would that work for you if I head down toward the earlier part of that timeframe, JRocket?
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

johnnyo979
City, State: Ky

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 9:47 pm

@JimAH
I am looking at the possibility of flying into Tucson around March 15. Is there anyone that is flying into that airport that would like to share the cost of transportation to the trail head?

JimAH

Post by JimAH » Feb 10 2016 8:59 pm

@cavaroc
If you end up at the end of your window rather than the beginning, let me know. My house is 15m from Sky Harbor. I'd be happy to pick you up and bunk you on my couch until we head-out.

Sorry Johnneyo979, 3/15 is a week past my target -- if I'm in Tucson by 3/18 my wife can meet me for the weekend.

Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

Post by Trew » Feb 11 2016 11:10 am

JimAH wrote:Greetings, all. I too will be starting a NOBO in March. I'm waiting to see what days I get permitted for the Grand Canyon to determine my exact start date. Once that's determined, I'll post an update. Anyone who happens to need a ride from Phoenix to the trailhead at that time would be welcome.
GCNP has been working with AZT thru hikers and clearing a space for them at Bright Angel GC at the bottom of the Canyon. You don't need a permit ahead of time- that is what a ranger told me a few days ago.

cavaroc

Post by cavaroc » Feb 11 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks, Jim! I'll actually be driving in. I'll be doing some last minute supply and food shopping around Phoenix the first few days of March (and getting in some day-hiking in the area) before heading to Tucson to send out mail drops and start making official plans to get started.

I appreciate the offer though!
Hike often. Hike happy.

no avatar
Kmcmillen
City, State: Oceanside

Post by Kmcmillen » Feb 12 2016 7:12 pm

I am making my 2nd attempt at the trail. Started last spring on Mar. 6th-hit heat I couldn't tolerate a week later near Tucson (90's). I will start at Gabe Zimmerman this year on Feb. 20 to try an earlier start. Hopefully a bit of cooler weather than is happening now though.
Kmcm

cavaroc

Post by cavaroc » Feb 12 2016 9:17 pm

You'll probably avoid heat in the desert, but you might get some snow and/or cold weather on top of Mica Mountain (unless you plan on hiking up and over in one day). You'll run into the same problem in the Santa Catalinas though a couple of days later. Be careful if you proceed that early.
Hike often. Hike happy.

JimAH

Post by JimAH » Feb 22 2016 10:51 pm

If anyone is seeking a ride to the trail head, on March 9, "Oldmanonthetrail" and I will be driving from Phoenix to Sierra Vista and then taking a shuttle from SV to the trail head. If anyone else is considering leaving on 3/9, PM me to see if we can help.

Quester
City, State: Bellingham, WA

Post by Quester » Feb 22 2016 11:18 pm

Anyone needing a ride from Tucson airport area to the south border AZT trailhead on Monday morning March 14th, I have a shared private car ride seat available that would cost $35 (your share of our collective $70 cost). Let me know by PM if you are interested. Thanks.

~Michael

Return to “AZT Hiking”