Grand Canyon Access? Camping?

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
johnnyo979
City, State: Ky

Grand Canyon Access? Camping?

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 08 2016 6:01 am

Will I have to obtain a permit way before the hike and schedule my appearance at the Grand Canyon on that given day? Or will the Grand Canyon rangers allow me special treatment since I will be an Arizona Trail hiker? If I get into the canyon do you think some canyon hikers will allow me to share their camp site?

Spiced Rum
City, State: California

Re: Grand Canyon Access? Camping?

Post by Spiced Rum » Feb 19 2016 5:38 am

You can also tell them you are hiking the AZT and request to stay in the horse camp and they will put you in there. They are rarely used by equestrians and have some sort of deal with the AZT
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

Spiced Rum
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Feb 29 2016 2:25 pm

So when I hiked it last fall Southbound, we had no issues they pretty much told us that worse case scenario we would have to spend one extra night at the rim on a waiting list. Also the AZT made a deal with the Park Superintendent that if you tell them you are a thru hiker that they will try and accommodate you in the livestock campground which is rarely utilized. I would not sweat it.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 29 2016 2:32 pm

Spiced Rum wrote:the AZT made a deal with the Park Superintendent
The NPS is a government agency, so "deals" are certain to be documented and public. I'd love to see the the link for that agreement!
Profound observer

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 29 2016 2:59 pm

Ha! This looks like a game of Telephone!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

mtkitchn
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by mtkitchn » Mar 24 2016 4:59 pm

The backcountry office sets aside a couple of permits for last minute requests such as thru hikers or last minute hikers. Get to the office as soon as you get to town or if they are closed, be at the door a half hour prior to opening the next day. Can you be flexible in your travel plans? If there aren't any spots at Phantom Ranch, there might be some at Indian Garden (although that doesn't get you very far) or Cottonwood on the North Side. The people at the backcountry office have always been very helpful to me. They only let so many people camp in the canyon and they will check your permit so you can't just go in and ask to camp with someone.

arizona_water
City, State: Salt River Valley

Post by arizona_water » Apr 25 2016 10:45 pm

comment deleted
- there's nothing like finding Water in the Desert -

Return to “AZT Hiking”