Backpack size?

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
johnnyo979
City, State: Ky

Backpack size?

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 7:12 am

I have a Granite Gear Vapor Current ultralight backpack that is 60 liters. I am concerned as to rather or not it is large enough to carry the amount of water I am going to need. I have just bought the inflatable frame for it that is supposed to take it's capacity to 40 pounds. Do you all think it will provide enough volume for the extra water I will need to take or do I need an expedition size backpack?

Stavman
City, State: Glendale

Re: Backpack size?

Post by Stavman » Feb 09 2016 8:06 am

How long ya gunna be gone?

I just got an Osprey Exos 48... 48ltr. I am going for 3 days/2 nights on my 1st trip with it next week in the Northeest Sups. I have 2-1 liter jars and will have a 2l camel pack insert for it today. That is plenty for most of the Sups Hikes. wont fill Both jars but will carry them for refiling and such

It leaves me plenty of room for Tent, Bag and the essentials.

I am sure this Pack could do 5days easy..... and i could failry easy carry 10l of water if needed

Look into a Camel Pack insert, I am pretty sure all the Granite Gear Vapors have Hydration Ports in em... This is a good way to pack some water in yer pack

Hope this helps

Stav

oldmanonthetrail
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Feb 09 2016 8:57 am

I'm using the atmos 65 and I have removed the top storage area for weight mostly ,and I don't need the extra room. My dry pack weight is 17 lbs 2 ozs. and water storage for 5 liters. If I were you I would keep your weight below 30 ib.s (wet) I have a feeling we will appreciate it in the long run. I would really like to shave some more weight but the dam solar panel is 18 ozs.

cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Post by cavaroc » Feb 09 2016 9:01 am

I did the first 164 miles last year and I'd consider last year to be a pretty weak winter. Even so, water was very reliable at a lot of the more questionable water spots. I never actually felt like I needed more than 4-5 liters. With the snow they've been getting this season, I'd expect much of the same. However, there are some sections where caching water is recommended, such as between Oracle and Superior, and Flagstaff and the GC, which I plan on doing.
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

johnnyo979
City, State: Ky

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 9:50 am

Cavaroc,
When it comes to caching water. How will you go about that? Will you pay a citizen to transport the water out there for you?

cavaroc
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Post by cavaroc » Feb 09 2016 11:22 am

I'm either going to do that, or myself. I plan on taking a zero day in Tucson after I get to Oracle to reevaluate options and resupply and send out new mail drops for the next third of the trail. I'll either do it then myself or have someone else do it if I don't have the time to get it organized.
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

JimAH
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by JimAH » Feb 10 2016 9:20 pm

Gentlemen, I'm planning on caching water at the Tiger Mine Road box (mile 209.1) and at the Moqui Stage Station (mile 658.3). As a local, I'll be driving to both sites in a week or two. I'd be happy to cache water (and food boxes) for you. Please let me me know if you'd like me to cache anything for you. E-mail me if you'd like to discuss: jamesahaz@gmail.com

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Feb 11 2016 12:03 am

@JimAH
There should be water just 4.3 miles north of Moqui Station, not sure why you'd need to cache water there. Also, when I hiked through there early last September, there were several empty water chugs. I was rather disappointed with hikers caching water and leaving their trash.
Go find a LonelyCache

JimAH
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by JimAH » Feb 11 2016 8:23 am

@rcorfman
So you found the tanks on that stretch reliable in the fall? That's good to know. Fall is typically drier than Spring. Some of the blogs I've read from other travelers didn't so I planned to play it safe. Maybe I'll reassess. It would save me a lot of driving...

Return to “AZT Hiking”