Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
johnnyo979
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Ky

Packing heavy guide book?

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 9:47 am

The guide book weighs nearly a pound. Are you guys taking it along or are you finding lighter ways to transport that kind of valuable information?

johnnyo979
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: Packing heavy guide book?

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 9:53 am

I will be attempting a thru hike. Nobo.

oldmanonthetrail
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Feb 09 2016 9:57 am

I added a 32 gb card to my phone and downloaded it off kindle

johnnyo979
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 10:34 am

Do you mean the GPS card to the Arizona Trail? Oldmanonthetrail.

cavaroc
Free Roamin' Pelli
City, State: Jackson Hole, WY

Post by cavaroc » Feb 09 2016 11:20 am

I think he means just downloading a digital version to pull up on his phone. I have the guidebook as a resource, but I also digitized it to do the same thing.
FreeRoamingPhotography...
Hike often. Hike happy.

oldmanonthetrail
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Feb 09 2016 1:20 pm

Yes Sorry Johnny I ordered the digital version and downloaded it to my phone via kindle reader I also have several books and the guthook app for AZT .All you need to do is buy a memory card for your phone $15 and you can store tons of stuff.As long as your charging needs are met which you spoke about in another thread (solar power) or battery's? The 18 oz. weight cost of the solar panel pays off for me because all my electronics are charged by u.s.b. from the panel .So no battery's books or g.p.s.
and I can use my phone as much as I need to

johnnyo979
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 09 2016 4:18 pm

In regards to the phones. I only use old school phones, no smart phones. I see what smart phones do to people's lives. Constantly facebooking, for example, and I am not open minded to getting one just yet. I have, however, made a commitment to get the Iphone 8 when it finally comes out.

jonathanpatt
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Feb 09 2016 5:35 pm

A smartphone is a tool like any other, and it can (and often is) abused in ways that negatively affect the user, but they don't have to be. I finally got one last year, as it enables me to have many functions in one relatively small and light device when backpacking—it's a communication device, navigation device, reading device, and camera. I don't use Facebook, Twitter or other social media services (at all), so my phone doesn't eat away at my life. But it can be a valid choice to avoid smartphones as well, and I respect your decision to do so.

You could also consider a dedicated Kindle device—if it on its own was lighter than the guidebook, you'd already be winning, plus you could take other reading material with you as well for no additional weight gain.

The_Dude
Hortipelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by The_Dude » Feb 10 2016 10:50 am

Smartphones only take as much of your life as you let them. I have had one of some sort for five years now, and I have still never used the Facebook app...plus if you have never had one before, you might as well get an older form that will still work great and come in at significantly cheaper. Route Scout is a tool like no other. :M2C:

Return to “AZT Hiking”