Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Quester
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bellingham, WA

Re-Supply Locations

Post by Quester » Feb 14 2016 12:41 am

I'm looking at the maps and trail data and seeing the following re-supply towns with post offices where I could ship food/supplies to:

Start with food/supplies for 53 miles.
mile 53: Patagonia; resupply for next 62 miles
mile 115: Vail; resupply for next 93 miles
mile 208: Oracle; resupply for next 97 miles
mile 305: Superior; resupply for next 160 miles?!!
mile 465: Pine; resupply for next 135 miles?!!
mile 601: Flagstaff, resupply for next 100 miles
mile 700: Grand Canyon South Rim; resupply for 100 miles to AZT end.

The segments marked in bold I have concerns about, due to weight required, especially with water supply needs factored in too. Am I missing other resupply points that could lighten the load on these tough segments? Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

~ Michael

sandyfortner
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: Re-Supply Locations

Post by sandyfortner » Feb 14 2016 4:08 am

Between Oracle and Superior you have an opportunity for PIZZA and possible hitch to Kearny. I've heard that the pizza place there will deliver to the TH! That would be at the bridge between passages 15 and 16.
Superior to Pine - you will come out at Roosevelt Lake after passage 19 - possible hitch to Globe or Tonto Basin communities or a good place for someone to meet you there with a resupply box. Also, you come out at Sunflower after passage 21 which offers possible hitch to Payson or place for someone to meet you with resupply box here also. That I know of - neither of these locations have provisions to receive and hold a box but can't say for sure.
Pine to Flag - you will go through Mormon Lake which has an opportunity for lodging / food depending on when you arrive. I don't know if they accept and hold boxes but would be worth contacting them.
GC to end - you will come out within 3 miles of Jacob Lake. DEFINITELY stop for the baked goods!!!!!! Again, opportunity for lodging and food - restaurant and SMALL store with some resupply goodies. You may want to contact them about holding a box for you.
On the AZT web page, look under the tab "The Trail" for Gateway Communities. There's a map with links / info.
If you need boxes at Roosevelt or Sunflower, PM me and I may be able to help out.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Spiced Rum
Calipelli
City, State: California

Post by Spiced Rum » Feb 14 2016 6:00 am

send me your email and I will send you the data I used and talk to you about how we did it if you are interested. I just finished it this fall from north to south but could answer a lot of your questions
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."
-- T.S. Eliot

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Feb 14 2016 8:53 am

For the Pine to Flagstaff section, if you're really motivated, when you cross Lake Mary Road after Mormon Lake, you can hitch straight into Flagstaff. Almost all traffic on this road will be going by a grocery store about a half mile from the end of Lake Mary Road.

Update: ATA says that you can resupply at the small store at Mormon Lake Lodge. I haven't been there myself. http://www.aztrail.org/resupply.pdf
Last edited by flagscott on Feb 14 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyo979
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Ky

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 14 2016 9:15 am

My God. That's a lot of miles before resupplying. I'm starting to get really concerned about this.

oldmanonthetrail
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Feb 14 2016 11:06 am

you can send a package to mormon lake store or resupply there (high prices ,typical small store)

oldmanonthetrail
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: toronto

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Feb 14 2016 11:25 am

http://longdistancehiker.com/arizona-tr ... ly-plan-2/
Here's a link that outlines a good re-supply strategy and seems to address all your concerns

Quester
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Bellingham, WA

Post by Quester » Feb 14 2016 11:56 am

These are all AWESOME responses that are very helpful. Thank you very much. Issue solved! :)

~ Michael

johnnyo979
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Ky

Post by johnnyo979 » Feb 14 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks for posting the link to the resupply plan. It was really helpful. Personally I am not comfortable going over 80 miles without resupplying. To do so means carrying a lot of weight. But there are apparently a couple of times when it is necessary.

Return to “AZT Hiking”