Spring 2017 Thru Hikers

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Trew
City, State: Florence, AZ

Spring 2017 Thru Hikers

Post by Trew » Nov 22 2016 8:16 pm

Wondering who is looking at hiking the AZT in 2017 NOBO.

This year I made it past Saguaro NP to the road that runs up to Oracle. This year I am considering returning to that point and continuing nobo. That would take me over Mt Lemon area and on into Oracle and then off to the Superstitions.

Then again, I may start at Pickpost and go north from there.

Wonder what water conditions will be like in 2017. Such an original thought.

oldmanonthetrail
City, State: toronto

Re: Spring 2017 Thru Hikers

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 08 2017 5:13 pm

Trew wrote:Wonder what water conditions will be like in 2017. Such an original thought.
no kidding ......after last year I'm shaking in my boots

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Jan 08 2017 5:28 pm

KateWalker wrote:How long did it take you to get to Sunnyside in one day?
I don't understand this question. I took three days to get from Picket Post TH near Superior to get to the Vineyard TH at Roosevelt Lake. I took another three days to get from the Vineyard TH to the Bushnell Tanks TH near Sunflower, including a ~5 mile diversion to Bushnell Tanks. Hope that answers your question.
Go find a LonelyCache

Trew

Post by Trew » Jan 08 2017 9:40 pm

@oldmanonthetrail
From the Mexican border to north of Saguaro NP I thought the water in 2016 was pretty good.

oldmanonthetrail

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 09 2017 6:12 am

Trew wrote:From the Mexican border to north of Saguaro NP I thought the water in 2016 was pretty good
Yeah, it may be just me but I found very low levels north of Patagonia .Anaconda was a trickle as were most other refill spots.
Bear spring was very cool place with lots of run off . The 50 mile stretch after Globe was what concerned me most.. When I got to the last spring before Roosevelt ( name escapes me at the moment) I was very grateful.... Although a trickle it was a definite life saver as a couple of springs before that were already dry. (late March). Being from Canada my definition of a creek or spring is a little different lol.
I am sure the ability of 20 to 30 mile days are a big part of it but sadly this fat old geezer best days were 20 miles etc.

FireFly
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Jan 09 2017 8:26 am

Should I be worried? I'm planning days that average about 14 miles and never longer than 20 miles. This is based on last year's water reports and carrying up to 7 days food. Of course this year conditions can be worse. But my thinking is that if I don't walk long days when it is not necessary, I will have more energy left on days where it is really required to reach a water source.

By the way, how is it looking so far with rain/ snowfall in Arizona? Is it shaping up to be an average, wet or dry year?

oldmanonthetrail

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 09 2017 2:54 pm

As a Arizona ROOKIE my best advice is to know your own hydration requirements as well as you know your BM's .
Can't stress that enough. Only then will you truly know whether you can climb up and down big hills everyday and feel good doing it in 80-90 degree weather as well.
P.S. From March 6 to April 15th I felt exactly 3 rain drops......

Trew

Post by Trew » Jan 13 2017 10:42 pm

My hiking plans for the AZT have changed. Two hikers starting with the WarriorsHike program in March plan to start with that group to help get them started and them move on ahead and do the AZT together. One of the two has his father who will be following along as support to help with water and resupply and stuff, and they have asked me to join them!!

I plan to meet them in Oracle or at Picketpost. Dream arrangement. I am excited.

Magician
City, State: El Cajon

Post by Magician » Jan 16 2017 8:32 am

Looking for a hiking partner on the Arizona Trail. Starting at the Coronado National Monument March 27th. Hiking to Colossal Caves. 120 miles. I completed the PCT last August in sections after 13 years. I averaged 18 miles a day. I'm a year older than Disneyland. Very fit. Good attitude. Think of hiking as a social activity. Do not want to hike alone. I'd love to share the experience with someone like minded. Please spread the word. pctdanalaw.blogspot.com

oldmanonthetrail

Post by oldmanonthetrail » Jan 16 2017 3:04 pm

Trew wrote:I plan to meet them in Oracle or at Picketpost. Dream arrangement. I am excited.
Yes I'm jealous...I can just imagine you pulling out your phone and ordering pizza and beer at the next TH

KateWalker
City, State: SAGLE

Post by KateWalker » Jan 17 2017 11:02 am

@keepa
How many charges does it give your samsung after fully charged? How long does it take to charge (in sun and while plugged in)?

KateWalker

Post by KateWalker » Jan 17 2017 11:07 am

@rcorfman
Sorry for the confusion. I thought I saw somewhere that you started at Mexican border and camped at Sunnyside Canyon the 1st night. Just wondering if I can do 14 (16) miles my first day in that terrain. I'd rather not camp at mile 6(10) if there is snow up there.

KateWalker

Post by KateWalker » Jan 17 2017 11:16 am

I plan to start about March 1st!!! Looking forward to meeting folks!!

no avatar
keepa
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by keepa » Jan 18 2017 7:18 pm

KateWalker wrote:@keepa
How many charges does it give your samsung after fully charged? How long does it take to charge (in sun and while plugged in)?
It charges my Samsung S5 once from a full charge. The solar charger takes 6-8 hours to recharge if it is always facing the sun. For south to north hikers this would be the case.

Since while hiking I have my phone in power saving mode, it lasts about 3-4 days before needing a recharge. If I only turn it on when I actually need it, it would last longer.

I also charge my camera batteries with it (for an Olympus OMD 10 Mark II). I carry 2-3 of these batteries so there is never an issue of needing to charge both phone and camera batteries on the same day.

no avatar
Enigma

Post by Enigma » Jan 23 2017 9:48 am

Recently started seriously considering doing the AZT thru this Spring. I'm trying to save up for a couple projects, so I don't think I'll start much before April 1st. I have to be in Denver by the 15th of May to catch a plane to Europe, where I'll either join the Transcaucasian Trail crew or hit the Camino d'Santiago. Hoping the snowpack in Arizona isn't too bad, it seems to have been a substantial year so far, but the late start makes me think much of that h2O will be in liquid form. Anyway, blessings to everyone, hope everything works out for the best.

no avatar
TenaciousD
City, State: Wickenburg

Post by TenaciousD » Jan 23 2017 7:12 pm

Hi, looking for a hiking buddy to start nobo thru hike in March. I am 55 and am a slow hiker but can hike 10-15 miles a day, terrain depending. Message me and we can plan.

no avatar
TeddyOnTheTrail
City, State: Florida

Post by TeddyOnTheTrail » Jan 25 2017 5:37 pm

Hi everyone! We will be starting NOBO in late March. Thanks to everyone for the posts--I'm an AZ native (transplanted) but still learning quite a bit from everything on the forum.
See you on the trail!
-Teddy

no avatar
Nunki
City, State: Vermont

Post by Nunki » Jan 26 2017 5:46 pm

Hi. I am thinking about doing a NOBO hike of the Arizona Trail starting sometime in early March. Hoping to find a person or two to hike with. I am middle aged and tend to be a steady hiker who plans to exceed 10 miles a day to start with, then pick up steam as I go. I've hiked the Colorado Trail, Long Trail, JMT . . . Just love to be outdoors and hoping to check out the Arizona countryside. Shoot me a message if you are interested in joining forces. Nunki

FireFly
City, State: England

Post by FireFly » Jan 27 2017 3:30 am

On a NOBO thru-hike starting mid March, should I bring microspikes?

no avatar
switchback

Post by switchback » Jan 27 2017 12:14 pm

Hi all!

I'm planning a solo nobo thru-hike starting early March. Midwestern native, transplanted to the pacific northwest, love the southwest. First time post, but I've found reading this forum indispensable to trip preparations. Can't wait to get on trail!

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Jan 27 2017 6:08 pm

FireFly wrote:On a NOBO thru-hike starting mid March, should I bring microspikes?
For now, I would say, YES, bring the micro spikes. You can always put them in your bounce box. High country has received a lot of snow this past week. How much more is coming - if any - and how long is hangs on is hard to say.
:M2C: Goldilocks

Return to “AZT Hiking”