On solo sobo thru. If I stop in Tucson what will I miss?

Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Norikiyo
City, State: Crescent Beach, FL

On solo sobo thru. If I stop in Tucson what will I miss?

Post by Norikiyo » Dec 08 2016 3:59 am

I started November 6th. It's been amazing. Really. I am seriously considering stopping in Tucson December 23rd to surprise family for the holidays back in Florida. The potential for a solid pure thru is already gone because I skipped 38 mi from HW 87 to Pine after dealing with 4 to 6 inches of snow for 40 mi and the prospect of running out of food.

I would feel really accomplished and fulfilled having made it to Tucson. I went into this with zero backpacking experience and am out here alone. BUT, am I sacrificing seeing some of the best parts of the trail from Tucson to the Mexican border?

I also was thinking if I make good time to Tucson I do some fun side trails like summitting Mt Lemmon if that is possible or Cathedral Rock. Any reccomendations? Thank you everyone!

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Re: On solo sobo thru. If I stop in Tucson what will I miss?

Post by sandyfortner » Dec 09 2016 7:48 pm

Temporal Gulch - passage #4 is very pretty! Passage #5 - Kentucky Camp takes you though old mining area where you can see some mining equipment if that's your thing. I found the mining features in 4 and 5 interesting but I have a little background in that area. 5, 6, 7, and 8 are passages that you could put some miles in if you want to make time - pretty flat, good tread, easy to follow. Yes, you can summit Lemmon and take a side trip to Cathedral. Lemmon has many trails and they seem to be pretty well marked. But if you head out to see family for the holiday, just remember, the trail will be here when you get back. Then you could knock out the Mazatzals also. Happy hiking!
:M2C: Goldilocks

Return to “AZT Hiking”