Moderators: HAZ - Moderators, AZT - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
LuckyMan
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Resupply north of Grand Canyon

Post by LuckyMan » Jan 25 2017 10:49 am

Jacob Lake Inn, which has been the primary AZT resupply point north of the Grand Canyon, is no longer accepting mail drops - I called and was politely told they won't even hold packages for a fee. Apparently the AZT has become so popular they were flooded with mail drops last year.

Does anyone know of any other places in the area that will accept packages or that have decent resupply? Every place other than JLI doesn't seem to open until mid-May, and I was hoping to start at the Mexican border in early or mid-March.

I was told that in addition to the restaurant and bakery, JLI has a small selection of groceries such as bread, peanut butter, chips, granola, canned Vienna sausages (don't read the list of ingredients), tuna salad kits etc. I was told the hours in early May will be 8 to 8 daily, with longer hours starting in late May.

DallinW
City, State: Gilbert AZ

Re: Resupply north of Grand Canyon

Post by DallinW » Jan 25 2017 1:33 pm

Without a long hitch, you don't really have any other options.

You're so close by the time you hit Jacob's Lake you could eat a big meal at the restaurant and grab a couple of items from the store. You haven't stated what kind of pace you'll be moving at, but most should be able to make that stretch from Jacob Lake to the border as an overnighter.

Enjoy your hike!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jan 25 2017 6:09 pm

What Dallin said . . .
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

no avatar
keepa
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by keepa » Jan 26 2017 7:54 pm

@LuckyMan
You can send a package to the post office at the north rim, 85 N Main Street, North Rim 86052 (928) 643-7122 M-F 8:00-12:00; 1:00-5:00. That's 65 miles from the finish.

According to the data book, there is a resupply box at 765.8 and at 774.3, but you would have to have someone drop the packages for you, or pack non-perishable food and drop it off yourself before you start your hike.

Another option is the Kaibab Lodge, which accepts packages, or the North Rim Country Store, both 5 miles from the trail.

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Jan 26 2017 11:17 pm

@keepa
If they are even open when he goes through.
Go find a LonelyCache

sandyfortner
City, State: apache junction, AZ

Post by sandyfortner » Jan 27 2017 6:17 pm

LuckyMan wrote:
I was told that in addition to the restaurant and bakery, JLI has a small selection of groceries such as bread, peanut butter, chips, granola, canned Vienna sausages (don't read the list of ingredients), tuna salad kits etc. I was told the hours in early May will be 8 to 8 daily, with longer hours starting in late May.
Whatever you do - don't skip Jacob Lake Inn! The cookies are to die for!!! Ha! :y:
:M2C: Goldilocks

AndrewAZ
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by AndrewAZ » Jan 29 2017 10:43 am

+2 what Dallin said.

The store there is surprisingly good. Granola/protein bars, jerky, ramen, pb, etc. Definitely enough to fill out 2-3 days for the last stretch.

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Jan 29 2017 1:36 pm

keepa wrote:@LuckyMan
You can send a package to the post office at the north rim, 85 N Main Street, North Rim 86052 (928) 643-7122 M-F 8:00-12:00; 1:00-5:00. That's 65 miles from the finish.

According to the data book, there is a resupply box at 765.8 and at 774.3, but you would have to have someone drop the packages for you, or pack non-perishable food and drop it off yourself before you start your hike.

Another option is the Kaibab Lodge, which accepts packages, or the North Rim Country Store, both 5 miles from the trail.

Don't count on any of these unless the packages will be delivered after May 7th and picked up on or after May 15th.
And only a local could deliver to Kaibab or NRim after May 7th. There's a locked gate with a code.

no avatar
LuckyMan
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by LuckyMan » Feb 06 2017 10:17 am

After talking with employees at three outfitters in Flagstaff and with a ranger at the Backcountry Information Center in GCNP about likely snow conditions in late April and May in northern Arizona, I am planning to start March 8 and if all goes well will be north of the Colorado River before other resupply points will be open. I'll count on consuming mass quantities at Jacob Lake Inn and piecing together a resupply from the bakery, restaurant and little store.
I hope I can get enough food for an optional hike I read about on one trail journal; after finishing the AZT that hiker did a 23-mile day hike through a beautiful canyon - I think it was Paria Canyon maybe to Buckskin Gulch? He said that this was a great way to finish the AZT and that advance hard-to-get permits were required to backpack this canyon but that for a day hike you merely had to fill out a form at the trailhead. Does anyone know details about this? (Of course if I make it that far I might be ready to end the hike at the state line and explore those Utah canyons another time.)

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 06 2017 12:10 pm

LuckyMan wrote:......after finishing the AZT that hiker did a 23-mile day hike through a beautiful canyon - I think it was Paria Canyon maybe to Buckskin Gulch? He said that this was a great way to finish the AZT and that advance hard-to-get permits were required to backpack this canyon but that for a day hike you merely had to fill out a form at the trailhead. Does anyone know details about this? (Of course if I make it that far I might be ready to end the hike at the state line and explore those Utah canyons another time.)

https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/index.cfm?usearea=PC

https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=16112

https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=391
kurt

Return to “AZT Hiking”